Anybody Ever Seen an NOS "Formula "S" Exhaust System?? Now With Pics!!

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here. So, i'm at the auto parts store in Sunfish yesterday and I come out and my buddy is sitting next to the car. He asks why I haven't been by to take pics of the NOS Formula "S" exhaust system he has had for the past 25 years so I can share them with y'all. Also asked why I haven't been by to see his new 66 Formula "S"!! (that'll be another thread!!)

So, now we are considering having my exhaust guy re-make the pipe components off this set and offering them up to the needing public. I would be interested in any input about this possible project. We are going to have at least one set remade for his other Formula "S" project, but would consider making more if anyone was in need!!

So, here are the pics, in all their glory!! I'm not even going to tell you what he paid some 25 years ago, but the resonator has a price written on it...$20.00!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_4335.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 696
  • 100_4339.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 679
  • 100_4338.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 672
  • 100_4337.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 676
  • 100_4336.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 668
  • 100_4334.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 689
  • 100_4333.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 671
  • 100_4331.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 702
  • 100_4332.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 685
I have, so has Ulf LOL!! :glasses7:

Very rare find, great to see it laid out like that, thanks for sharing!!

Some good info here Geof, I have never seen one ...
I just had to share this here with you, I had a friend ask me if I wanted a automatic
trans for Victoria, I told him no!! Then my wife would be driving it lmao and he agreed :D

Yup, the repop stuff is nice but the resto guys who want NOS just gotta have it LOL

Very cool! I might be interested, of course price and quality would have to be a major consideration. Did I mention that is so cool? :D

Very cool Geof! I thought there was no muffler if resonator was used?? Someone on here mentioned thats the way it was in 67??

Tom Swope at Accurate LTD repro's the whole system and it's very nice.

Beautiful items!! $940.00 though, but after thinking about it, thats actually not a bad price for the complete system!!!! Thanks for sharing the info!!

I'm going to price the pipes done through my guy and add the resonator price from Accurate LTD ($298.00) and see how cost effective it would be!!

Steve, I am not completely sure if the muffler is supposed to be there or not, but the I-pipe and the over axle pipe do not line up together at all without the muffler in between. There is no part number on the muffler, and the resonator has a pentastar logo and date that the muffler doesn't have, so I am not 100% sure about this. A little measuring would solve this!!! Back to Ernie's!! Geof

Yup, a muffler was definetly used with the resonator :thumbup:

The resonator made it sound real cool and unique!

67 had the same setup Keith?? Just curious....funny too that they used single exhaust on the sb "S"

I think it did, not sure how different the pipes were though, could be the same or fit good enough that they used it another year.

Steve, I still have the original factory exhaust on my Formula S. It has a muffler and resonator and yeah it is OLD. has a couple small holes on the over axle pipe. I also was reading that they did test with dual exhaust and found the design on the single made more power then with standard dual exhaust.

67 had the same setup Keith?? Just curious....funny too that they used single exhaust on the sb "S"

Attachments

• exhaust.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 536
I too would be interested in the pipes, depending on cost.

Beautiful items!! $940.00 though, but after thinking about it, thats actually not a bad price for the complete system!!!! Thanks for sharing the info!!

I'm going to price the pipes done through my guy and add the resonator price from Accurate LTD ($298.00) and see how cost effective it would be!!

Steve, I am not completely sure if the muffler is supposed to be there or not, but the I-pipe and the over axle pipe do not line up together at all without the muffler in between. There is no part number on the muffler, and the resonator has a pentastar logo and date that the muffler doesn't have, so I am not 100% sure about this. A little measuring would solve this!!! Back to Ernie's!! Geof

No idea of the quality, but this resonator is $199 http://www.dalescudashop.com/196567-barracuda-resonator-wi196567.html

There would be differences on the over the rear end pipe between the Dart and the Valiant/Barracuda. I know for sure that 65 was strait through but I'm not sure for 66. 65 mufflers have the in and outlet centered.

Cosgig, what is the date code on the resonator? All assembly line stuff have the pentastar.

So that's for a 67. Do you need now 66 muffler? I might have one for you. I'll check tomorrow.

Very cool, my first sale on ebay was one of the resonators, and Ulf bought it. I still remember very clearly being clueless aboutintentional shipping, and it took a couple trips to the post office. Thanks again, Ulf!

I would think that there would be a demand for an exhaust lite this.

Steve, I still have the original factory exhaust on my Formula S. It has a muffler and resonator and yeah it is OLD. has a couple small holes on the over axle pipe. I also was reading that they did test with dual exhaust and found the design on the single made more power then with standard dual exhaust.

Thanks for the pic John, pretty cool you still have the orig exhaust. Hard to believe that they found the single exhaust produced more HP

Very cool, my first sale on ebay was one of the resonators, and Ulf bought it. I still remember very clearly being clueless aboutintentional shipping, and it took a couple trips to the post office. Thanks again, Ulf!

I would think that there would be a demand for an exhaust lite this.

I really appriciate your help 3404speed.

Cosgig. I just have one 8-64 and two 10-64 mufflers. Sorry for that. Have you checked with Al at Valley Vintage? He might have one for 1966 cars.

To clarify for us "less than Ulf" readers, was the "Formula S" the same option as "Commando" and "HiPo"? Was it a term only used for Barracudas? It sounds like the dual exhaust was only for the rare Big Block engines (race only?). Those would have had a cut-out on the passenger side of the transmission support, which people do today to fit dual exhaust (TTI can mod. yours).

The AllPar site has a photo of a car showing the unique recess in the rear panel for the rectangular resonator. Besides the fender tag, that is about the only proof a car shipped with the Commando engine. I post a drawing from a FABO post showing the Commando exhaust discussed here. That Y-pipe looks a little hillbilly. Hard to believe a factory design, but I guess for low volume it made sense. My 2bbl Y-pipe is more elegant butt-welded pipes, but that required tooling. Real interesting that a single pipe made more power. I guess I won't be cutting my cross-member.

Attachments

• Commandoexh.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 439
-
Back