Anybody going to the Dream Cruise?

-

dusterdon

Reaction score
Anybody gonna be on Woodward on Saturday? (or wednesday, or thursday, or friday?) I've gotten a parking space at the Blarney Stone Bar north of 11 mile on the west side. The owner is a Mopar friendly guy. He said that he's got a few more spots available. Anybody interested PM me and I'll give you the info. Weather's supposed to be really nice. There's a Moparts get-to-gether on wednesday night at the Donut Cutter near 11 1/2 mile. I'm planning to be there this year.

Looks like I might be making the drive up there with my fiancee and a couple friends. We will be just spectators hanging out for the just the day..

I live less than an hour from Woodward but I basically quit going a couple years ago because the cruise is just a huge parking lot, you can't pull in anywhere without being charged just to stop, and it's hard to walk anywhere and see anything because you have to park so far away. My buddy lives at 11 1/2 and Woodward and to me it's not worth the drive just to park at his house and do nothing!!! Not to mention that the state police completely shut down Woodward PROMPTLY at 9:00 p.m. thursday, friday and especially saturday night. Not much fun IMO!!! Unless of course you like to pay to park!! Have a good time, but don't do any burnouts, lest you get a ticket from a cop in a golfcart. Ask me how I know!!! FYI, my band is playing friday night at Dick O'Dows at 15 and old Woodward in downtown Birmingham, if you can make your way up there. I'll be the one on the standup bass. I'll try to leave a little early and stop at the Blarney and look you up. Geof

I'm in the middle of redoing the front end on the Dart, so I'll have to drive the '65 Chrysler again. ;)

I agree that Royal Oak and Birmingham turn into big parking lots, so I usually drive through early in the day, and spend my time hanging out either south of 696 or up by Square Lake or Round Lake Rd (it's one of those Lake names ;) ) Still Lots and Lots of cars, and a whole lot less hassle.

I'm not going this year but for anyone that has never done it. GO

Yes it is a BIG PARKING LOT, with thousands of cars and whatever someone brings. The tricked out garbage truck, the twin harley chariot, beer can on wheels and from a few years ago 100 Prowlers pulling out of 13 miles making a left turn onto Woodward. I was the last Prowler, what a site to see. We were told that the police never shut down woodward in all directions, but they did it for us.

Many of the police are from out of town helping out, some are pricks, most are OK.

It took me 5.5 hours to cruise from Pontiac to about 8 mile and back many years ago

Have always been able to park at Mc D's for up to 30 minutes free (have to buy something inside, but you have to eat & piss), also have stayed at the gas stations along the way for free at different spots up and down woodward, when I had the Dart there stopped and parked right off woodward at Murray's auto parts store. If you plan on camping out for the day anywhere close to the road yes you will pay, but if cruising and stopping to chat, take a leak, getting a bite to eat you can find a place to stop.

find a place to park, jump on the bus and cruise the whole strip to see the cars, or walk alittle

Chrysler has always rented the Kroger parking lot at 13 Mile and Woodward, don't know if they are this year. It is a good place to find a spot to park. As a Prowler owner I have always been able to park at the school on 13 mile just west of Woodward so a short walk over to the Chrysler area and usually make a mile or so north and south on Woodward

If you want to see old coupes with blown hemi's running open headers, Pro street cars with slicks (more pro than street) max wedge cars, every make & model of the baddest cars ever to come out of detroit and some really strange stuff, GO. If you want to say it is a parking lot, go to your local cruise in (Oh that is just a bunch of cars PARKED in a parking lot)

I tell everyone if you like cars it is a must do at least once, I think I have done it 6 times

I've been going to this event for 6 years now and I still love it. The last 2 years I paid nothing to park on Woodward near 14 mile you just have to get there early which was a public parking place. Some years I've paid to park but the money went to a charity which is a good thing. I'll bet with the big three and supplers backing out of the cruises this year you'll be able to find a spot. Yes it can turn into a parking lot so make sure your cooling system is up to it. I run an electric fan backup and have no problems. You can do some decent cruising in the morning to about noon and then it gets busy. I've been out cruising this week already and will be there today and Saturday. Jayson

-
Back