anybody have experience w/02 stratus 2.4L DOHC

-

rustycowll69

Reaction score
I bought a pretty straight & clean 02 Stratus w/2.4L DOHC engine for real cheap. I know it's not an abody, but it is a mopar, and I'm not getting much info from any of the fwd forums. It reportedly has a seized engine. The dipstick had just a drop of oil on the end of it. The coolant reservoir is full, and there doesn't appear to be any huge oil leaks on the engine exterior. I need to assess the internal engine damage, so I know how to proceed. I'm told it has a block base plate, and two counter-rotating balance shafts. If I pull the pan to inspect the crank/rods, am I going to be able to see anything with the balance shafts in the way? Can the balance shafts and housing be removed in the car? If anybody has firsthand experience it would be most welcome.

Also, if an engine swap or crank is in order, watch out for the early/ late differences, in regards to where the crank shaft "tone wheel" is located. They don't interchange electronically but you are right at the 2002 model when the change took place.
Yes that Neon site is the answer! Good info there.

Not totally on topic but perhaps helpful.

Until last week, I had a 2.4 in a 03 PT Cruiser. I liked the car and it ran great.

At 139,000 miles it started using water.

It would idle for over an hour without getting hot.

It would drive 15-20 miles OK, then start creeping up in temp.

By the time it cooled down it was 3 quarts low.

No oil in water, no water in oil. No obvious leaks, no mist out tailpipe.

Was told everything from clogged radiator to head gasket.

Never figured it out, too cramped for me to work on, and expensive to throw parts at on a $1000 car at best.

Not totally on topic but perhaps helpful.

Until last week, I had a 2.4 in a 03 PT Cruiser. I liked the car and it ran great.

At 139,000 miles it started using water.

It would idle for over an hour without getting hot.

It would drive 15-20 miles OK, then start creeping up in temp.

By the time it cooled down it was 3 quarts low.

No oil in water, no water in oil. No obvious leaks, no mist out tailpipe.

Was told everything from clogged radiator to head gasket.

Never figured it out, too cramped for me to work on, and expensive to throw parts at on a $1000 car at best.
Same thing happened to my Neon a few years ago, head gasket fixed it.

-
Back