Anybody into VINTAGE Motocross?

-

SwinginDart74

Reaction score
Anybody into old motocross bikes along with MOPARS?

I am currently in the process of restoring a 1979 Suzuki RM400

Cool and good luck with the project! That's not vintage in my book, lol! I was 13 when that came out and I remember them and the YZ 460's. The throttle was like a freakin' light switch lol! Wheelie city!

not into them anymore, but i had a 79 rm125. does it still have the squared fenders that they came with in 79?

I can relate. I got a 1970 Bridgestone TMX 100 that I am slowly stripping for a future resto. Its kewl and wierd too. The TMX 100 was Bridgestones big leap into the off road market...and they sold quite well. Few have survived unfortunately and parts for this thing are really hard to find...and expensive. :-D

lol, ok, "evolution vintage" as this was the era where it still had twin shocks at the back but just as much suspension as a newer mono-shock bike

ha, its older than ME! I am 23, my first bike was a 79 KX125

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

FRIG i can't remember how to post the pics on the message so you can see a thumbnail

Big bore older 2-strokes are beasts in the best sense of the word.....and the worst. Ever try to kick start a over bored (500cc) high compression YZ 490 with Wiseco pistons? It'll break your leg. I saw one break someones collar bone when he freaked on pavement with it and grabbed both brakes hard. The front tire came down and it was locked and he did an endo. I ran to the phone and called 911. I told him it was damn near too freakin' brutal after a test ride but he didn't believe me. He was a fellow mechanic at Illinois Kawasaki.

lol, ok, "evolution vintage" as this was the era where it still had twin shocks at the back but just as much suspension as a newer mono-shock bike

ha, its older than ME! I am 23, my first bike was a 79 KX125

LOL! No problem man. I was 8 when my Ramcharger was built in Missuori and 6 when my '72 Duster was built. :)

Yeah, brother! They do have suspension.... I'm kinda stocky though at 5'11'', 215 and a 32" inseam. I rode on it, not in it like I do a road bike. :) Dirt bike suspension has come miles from where it used to be. :-D

They have good vintage racing here in missouri, I haven't raced for a couple of years but when I did i rode my can-am. I love can-ams.

I love vintage MX bikes. Matter of fact, Kid on my street named Boomer back in about '74 had a Suzuki 400 AND a '69 Road Runner 4 speed car. His Daddy had more $$ than mine, lucky stiff!

Roger DeCoster was the World Champ on a Suzuki 400 and was my Hero. Those ol'd Husky's , CZ's and Bultaco's were the s--t too!

I was into motocross in the 70`s, my cousin was an item with Jim Weinert (an MX champion) back then. I went from a Yamaha ATMX to a YZ to a Honda CR Elsinore. The Yamahas were fast but not as reliable as the Hondas. A friend with a Bultaco got me interested in trials riding so I slowed way down and got a Honda trials bike, I think it was a TL, four stroker. About the same time I bought a Triumph Bonneville 750 so I could still go fast on the street. I continued to ride off-road for a good while even after getting my drivers license. I think it`s a great thing for you to restore and preserve some of the old bikes of yesteryear.

Its not vintage yet, but I've redone my 1989 yz125. I was 4 when this bike was built. I was -17 when my Barracuda was built 8)

I guess age would have a bearing on what would be considered "Vintage". I rode back in the day when Europeans were on top. I rode Saddleback Park, Carlsbad, Hare and Hounds in the desert and a Barstow to Vegas. In the day we rode Bultaco Pursangs and oh yes the radial finned 400 Maico. Buddies rode everything from a BSA 441 Victor one lunger, the Huskys and the CZ's. That was in the early 70's. We'd team up in sets of 3 and chase jack rabbits in the Mojave. If you don't think that will tune up your reaction then you aint never rode. Try haulin butt across the sand in hot pursuit of a jack and all of a sudden theres a 8' wide dozer cut smack dab in front of you. You dive left, **** the front wheel and full power out of it. How about a tortoise. We were having fun.
Small Block

Bought a new Suzuki TM400 in 74,damn near killed myself.That thing was fast!My brother-in-law restored a Honda 250 Elcinor,got into the vintage racing and hurt himself real bad,back and head mostly,been 2 yrs,he won't race again,or be the same,so be carefull out there.

Sounds like a blast! Yeah, I remember those Maicos. They were as fast as anything else. Seemed like the Huskys were always the bike to beat. And the Europeans were pretty far ahead of most American riders, Decoster was French I think. Remember the Montesa's and Ossa's ? And the Pentons. Man, that stuff brings back alot of memories! I just had a Yamaha Enduro 60 when I was about 12 in 1970. I totally dreamt about getting a super-loud, screaming 2-stroke 400 that would fly over or climb anything at Crazy-Fast Speeds with a huge dirt Rooster Tail spraying out behind it! Whew! I need to check my blood pressure!

I agree with Junkaholic. We do have a good vintage MX series in Missouri. It's cool to take the kids and show them how we used to mix it up on Bultacos, Hodakas, KTMs etc. Cool to walk through the swap section too.

MX suspensions have come a long way since then.

Ah yes. The Hodaka Super Rats........Memories....Ever hear of a Rickman Matese? How about a Fenton? I remember the Montesas. Spanish bikes were no slouchs. Road with some factory riders on a practice field before i knew they were factory riders. I held my own.
Small Block

-
Back