Anybody Know About 70 Ford Torino 429 Cobra Jet Cars?

-
Excellent find ! The fact that it's been sitting for 30 of its 41 years has certainly helped .

I *used to* know the ins and outs of the "FE" and "385" Cobra Jets , but I've been out of the loop for so long , that my memory's faded .

Grabber Blue looks quite close to Petty Blue , no ?

I am with the 10-12 K crowd too for the right buyer, on Evil-bay, not so much. I have a 70' Torino front clip under my 57' Ford F-100. It does have the 429CJ w/o the shaker. It is a real blast to romp around in. MPG suck, but that is because it has so much torque you can't keep your foot out of it! I do know the Ford guys will pay big for the motor (I turned down $4500 for mine). Shoot me the numbers off the heads (driver's side) and that will also tell you alot. The police interceptor heads are a hot item. They bring the compression down a little for our lousy pump gas, have screw in studs, guide plates, etc. all from Ford!

I actually owned a 70 1/2 Falcon 429 SCJ back in the day. Competition orange 4sp bench seat drum brake car. The car was a beast not to mention a high dollar car in todays market restored. I should have put it away back then, but with 11.2 compression and leaded fuel dissapearing from the pumps in 1975, I traded it fora 74 Torino. I bought the car from the original owner who worked with me at Seelye Ford here in town. Other than the drag pack, the only option the car had besides a radio and heater, was power steering! The car had manual drum brakes and I could barely stop the thing. But it had gobs of torque and power!!

Estimates on total builds run about 60 to 70 of the 429 Falcons. I seen one on Barrett J go for $160.000 last year. I traded mine for $1500.00! Ouch that hurts even today to say that. A rare find on this blue one!! Buy it!

go and price just the hood and shaker air cleaner assembly. shaker assembly on ebay for 2,400.00

I have a 71 Torino Wagon

Attachments

• 137.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 160
A guy I work with is restoring one, it is very EXPENSIVE to restore this car, but this one might be worth it

old car price guide

70 Cobra
#6 $1,440
#5 $4,320
#4 $7,200
#3 $16,200
#2 $25,200
#1 $36,000

Brian told me he has more than 35K in is and it isn't done

I love the look of these cars and hope someone gets this one and brings it back to it's original glory

Great find i hada 72 gran sport fastback,429,auto i'm not a ford man but i did like that car.

Out of the few non-Mopars I've owned over the years , the one I miss the most is my 1970 Ranchero GT :
- 351 Cleveland 2Bbl
- FMX (shifted nice & firm , too . No cracked bellhousing / tailshaft problems , either )
- 9" with 3.50 Tru-Track (?)

I bought it from its original owners , back in Oct 1992 , for $2,000 . It was 90% perfect ; one repaint (a good job at that) ; reupholstered bench seat ; AM-FM-Cassette (didn't cut the dash , either ; and the original AM-FM was included in the deal ) ; yucky Chrome-Reverse wheels with Baby Moons ( replaced with 15x8" Indy Mags sourced from the local pick-a-part) .

The A/C blew cold ; however , in typical Ford-fashion , the radiator was seriously under-sized . It was wide enough , but it was only a 2-row .
I had a 3-row core installed ; I found a factory shroud on a 429-powered Torino (1972 ?) and used it ; then I found a 7-paddle fan with a declutch on it .
No more pinging !

That was one fun truck !

-
Back