Anybody know Ford's, here?

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Don't hate. I was asked to change power steering pump on girlfriends folks 66 Mustang, 289 v8. From my online research the car has an Eaton pump, their son in law ordered a replacement and the replacement is a Ford/Thompson pump. I don't know what will interchange on Ford's. From what I could tell I would need different brackets to use the Ford/Thompson pump. Any thoughts? Any good mustang forums? Or do I just wash my hands of the whole works and tell them to take it to mechanic?
Thanks
Aaron

I will tell you that Ford did what Ford wanted to do. Parts interchangeability is a nightmare, and I can say that since I own a T-Bird and a Mustang. The best thing to do is look at the old pump and buy a new one that looks the same. The parts stores are pretty good (but not perfect) about posting pictures of the correct parts, especially for something as popular as a Mustang. I just was looking at pumps for my T-Bird, and the options are NOT the same. I imagine it's the same on the Mustang.

Here are the options for the '65 Mustang at O'Reilly's...
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...ing-pump-12580/3d51bc7abdc5/1965/ford/mustang

I will tell you that Ford did what Ford wanted to do. Parts interchangeability is a nightmare, and I can say that since I own a T-Bird and a Mustang. The best thing to do is look at the old pump and buy a new one that looks the same. The parts stores are pretty good (but not perfect) about posting pictures of the correct parts, especially for something as popular as a Mustang. I just was looking at pumps for my T-Bird, and the options are NOT the same. I imagine it's the same on the Mustang.

Here are the options for the '65 Mustang at O'Reilly's...
https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...ing-pump-12580/3d51bc7abdc5/1965/ford/mustang
Agree. I don't hate Fords either, owned a few Fairlanes I liked. But what the above post ^^^ states is true. Your brake line maybe 5/16 on one end and 3/8 on the other. They can be a pain, but if you get the right pump, it should be a piece of cake.

You are correct. Those two pumps are not interchangeable without the brackets they require and if I remember, you may even need different pulleys because of different offsets.

I disagree though that Ford's systems were difficult for interchangeability. In fact,they were some of the easiest there was, because they were more "modular" than the rest. That is of course as long as you stick with the proper brackets for the matching components. Chyslers are similar with the saginaw and federal pumps. Those brackets don't interchange either, so saying the Ford is more difficult is a stretch.

Don't hate. I was asked to change power steering pump on girlfriends folks 66 Mustang, 289 v8. From my online research the car has an Eaton pump, their son in law ordered a replacement and the replacement is a Ford/Thompson pump. I don't know what will interchange on Ford's. From what I could tell I would need different brackets to use the Ford/Thompson pump. Any thoughts? Any good mustang forums? Or do I just wash my hands of the whole works and tell them to take it to mechanic?
Thanks
Aaron
Rock Auto shows pump kits for 2 different pumps Maybe this would be a less expensive alternative.

Brian

FB_IMG_1563450320251.jpg

I disagree though that Ford's systems were difficult for interchangeability. In fact,they were some of the easiest there was, because they were more "modular" than the rest.

Maybe, but they changed designs every 15 minutes. For example, they significantly changed the suspension and steering on my '63 T-Bird, so many parts won't interchange with a '62, and then they changed a bunch of stuff in '64 when they restyled the car. In '65, the 289 got a new timing chain style in mid-March of 1965. The engine in my Mustang was built March 10, 1965, with the old obsolete style. The newer style rubbed the timing cover. I was 20 years old when I tried to figure that whole thing out. They had 4 different 351s over the years (I count the 352 because it had the same bore and stroke). They had a 427, a 428, and a 429 all in production the same year. That's just off the top of my head.

Nothing against Ford, I like them and I own two classics and two daily drivers, but I've always felt that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing in the planning/engineering departments.

Maybe, but they changed designs every 15 minutes. For example, they significantly changed the suspension and steering on my '63 T-Bird, so many parts won't interchange with a '62, and then they changed a bunch of stuff in '64 when they restyled the car. In '65, the 289 got a new timing chain style in mid-March of 1965. The engine in my Mustang was built March 10, 1965, with the old obsolete style. The newer style rubbed the timing cover. I was 20 years old when I tried to figure that whole thing out. They had 4 different 351s over the years (I count the 352 because it had the same bore and stroke). They had a 427, a 428, and a 429 all in production the same year. That's just off the top of my head.

Nothing against Ford, I like them and I own two classics and two daily drivers, but I've always felt that the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing in the planning/engineering departments.

Mopar changed steering, brakes, motor mounts and a host of other things too. It's all in what you're used to dealing with.

I had the same timing chain problem on a 289. Fairlane and Mustang power steering pump brackets and reservoirs were different in 65 and 66. 65 had larger fill. 66 pumps and brackets were simular till 69. Big thing to watch out for is newer aftermarket waterpumps do not have the same gasket face to bracket mounting point measurements hence you could have a correct bracket but the pump causes a misalignment issue. I get home from offshore tomorrow evening late but if you still need help I can get you some photos and measurements on Wednesday.

I have worked on many types of American v8 engines. To me the big block mopar is the best. It just makes sense.
That being said it isn’t perfect. I don’t like the exhaust fasteners going into the water jacket, changing the big old starter is generally easier on a gm engine. The mopar water pump and fuel pump are easy to get to.... usually. Changing the intake on a Ford FE is a nightmare by comparison. Chevys distributor goes thru the intake...not a fan of that. I like the mopar external oil pump too. I like the flat pan gasket and skirted block, and pressurized shaft rockers.
What is the sheet metal piece between motor and trans on a ford for? Why was it Needed?
The 383 2bbl used the same head as a 440 six pack, that’s pretty cool. Ever looked up gm head numbers? Sheesh

I could go on and on but I’m tired, sorry for rambling, I know the post isn’t very coherent.

I have worked on many types of American v8 engines. To me the big block mopar is the best. It just makes sense.
That being said it isn’t perfect. I don’t like the exhaust fasteners going into the water jacket, changing the big old starter is generally easier on a gm engine. The mopar water pump and fuel pump are easy to get to.... usually. Changing the intake on a Ford FE is a nightmare by comparison. Chevys distributor goes thru the intake...not a fan of that. I like the mopar external oil pump too. I like the flat pan gasket and skirted block, and pressurized shaft rockers.
What is the sheet metal piece between motor and trans on a ford for? Why was it Needed?
The 383 2bbl used the same head as a 440 six pack, that’s pretty cool. Ever looked up gm head numbers? Sheesh

I could go on and on but I’m tired, sorry for rambling, I know the post isn’t very coherent.

I cannot agree more. Distributor in the front, dry intake, like the 351C, 351M and 400 Ford, distributor comes out stand alone, external oil pump, and on and on....what's not to love?

I changed a water pump on a 383 once (not much experience with them otherwise), and I wondered why EVERY engine wasn't designed with such serviceability in mind.

Thanks
Aaron

I KNOW ENOUGH THAT I DONT WANT ANOTHER ONE !!

'66 Rancheros were part Falcon part Fairlane. Made it a real challenge for parts replacement at times. '66 was a big change year for MoFoCo.

-
Back