Anybody running 276 gears?

-
You want your Highway cruising rpm to be higher that the stall speed of the converter.

I like 2.94 gears, the 2.76 kills the torque and makes it work to hard at low speeds and starting on hills.

Yes a noticeable difference between 2.94 and 3.23

thats a long time... if i were to do OD it wouldn't be to save money, it would be to enjoy the car more..
same here.

saving 10~15 bux a tank is whatever, that's like a line item error in old car operation. taching 2200 rpm while clicking off 350mi + days on road trips? yeah sign me up.

that's my long term for the fastback. or i'll lose my mind and install a 5spd

Yup, you nailed the maths. My recent OD install was about $3500 CDN , but I had some help so it's likely closer to $4500 CAD for the average guy. $4500 CAD = $3200 USD.

you guys and that funny money up there. :D

all kidding aside, to do it "right" and depending on how deep you wanna go on upgrades that window looks something like 3500~5000. i know when i penciled out the OD options (42/46, 2000R, etc) everything tallied out to right there in 5 range for the way i wanted to build it out.

could it be done on a beer budget? absolutely. there's a 518 on offer up right now for $600. i could go snatch that up, cobble together a mount with the scrap box tube i've got cluttering up the shop floor, grab the pact kit, throw a cheapie shift kit at it and slam that puppy home for a smooth G.

always time to do it twice, but never time to do it nice!

thats a long time... if i were to do OD it wouldn't be to save money, it would be to enjoy the car more..

Exactly, it's not about saving the money on fuel.

But... I've had the OD for exactly 2 years and put on 8500 miles. At this rate it would take me another 4 more years to to hit my break even point.

even if you do not have an overdrive you can put in a lock up converter (pump, shaft, valvebody)
I built a 998 for my daughters pacer trans from a AMC 360 cop car Transgo kit and Continental converter (RIP)

I run 2.76's in my stock 318 Dart, that's what was in it from the factory, what's the big deal?

-
Back