Anybody running 276 gears?

-
here's some quick maths:

518: $600 (CL/offer up)
comprehensive rebuild kit w/ shift improver & upgrades: 800
torque converter: 400~1200 (so let's split the baby and call it 800)
mount: 400
lock up/OD control kit: 150
yoke if you didn't get one: 50~100
shortening drive shaft: 150
trans cooler kit: 100
misc odds and ends such as fluid, biscuit mount, dipstick, wiring supplies, etx: 200

so you're in 3200~3500 easy money

this surmises that A: all the hard parts in the trans are good and you're not upgrading planetary gears, and B: you're doing all the work yourself, as well as C: you're okay with cutting up the car.

the OD option has all the pros of not spinning the motor to the moon at highway speed and getting *slightly* better fuel mileage which would only be important if you were long hauling it, tbh. but suffers all the cons of spending a grip of dough, a bunch of time and cutting up the car.

vs spending $500 for some gears and saying: ehhh, that's good enough.
That is pretty spot on . I just built a 518 (46rh) and was lucky in that the trany looked like new inside . I still replaced all wear items and added some Sonnax parts and a Transgo shift kit .

For my 73 Swinger I have a high performance 360, 904 with stage 2 shift kit, and 8.75 with 355 gears. I was running 410 and switched to 355 which was a very nice change.

I drive this car "a lot" and I've been considering using an even higher gearset. Pretty sure I would like 323 but thinking more radical possibly.

Do you still get the seat of the pants thrill with a high performance engine and 276 gears?
Where do you live ?

There is a reason that when Chrysler started using 2.76 or 2.45 gears in economy cars they also produced Torqueflites with substantially lower 1st gears and half that amount lower 2nd gears... When I installed the 42RH in my Dart I was surprised how much difference those lower trans gears made.

I run 2.76's in everything I drive. My 71 Polara in my avatar, my surviver 67 Dart 270 and soon in my 69 Coronet R/T. I'm an old guy, I drive mostly on rural roads and interstates. To many people say highway driving. Highway and Interstate driving are two completely different things. To me, highway driving is 65 and Interstate here in Nebraska is 75-85. I don't much like being passed by econoboxes on the freeway. 3.23 gears on the interstate suck! I don't care if I can burn the tires or not. I'm not going to butcher any of my cars for an overdrive. 2.76 gears and as tall of tire that will fit. You guys that drive around in the city can run you 3.91's. Years ago, a friend had a nice Cuda, 440, 4 speed and 4.30 gears. He was always blowing-my Cuda this, my Cuda that. One extended weekend I drove my 69 R/T down to lower Missouri and Route 66. Total miles was around 1800 that weekend. When I came back, my buddy stated blowing about his Cuda again. I told him-I just got back from an 1800 mile drive and you drive your Cuda and run a tank of racing gas thru it in a couple hours. I asked-who do you think had more fun. I did! He never blew about his 4.30 geared Cuda again!

There is a reason that when Chrysler started using 2.76 or 2.45 gears in economy cars they also produced Torqueflites with substantially lower 1st gears and half that amount lower 2nd gears... When I installed the 42RH in my Dart I was surprised how much difference those lower trans gears made.
i had both a 77 aspen and 87 dippy, the aspen had a super six and the dippy had a 360 with a TQ. in an impromptu stop light race the two were near dead even, that low gear 904 can be real beneficial in the right set up.

There is a reason that when Chrysler started using 2.76 or 2.45 gears in economy cars they also produced Torqueflites with substantially lower 1st gears and half that amount lower 2nd gears
That's not quite the right timeline. 2.76 rear gears became standard equipment in 6-cylinder and non-perf V8/automatic A-bodies for 1968. The wide-ratio gearset didn't come out til 1980, when 2.45 and 2.26(!) rear axles were being used in heavy cars with weak engines. 0-60 maybe sometime next month!

For my 73 Swinger I have a high performance 360, 904 with stage 2 shift kit, and 8.75 with 355 gears. I was running 410 and switched to 355 which was a very nice change.

I drive this car "a lot" and I've been considering using an even higher gearset. Pretty sure I would like 323 but thinking more radical possibly.

Do you still get the seat of the pants thrill with a high performance engine and 276 gears?

after this road trip with 3.23 gears and a short tire I'm sticking a set. of 2.76 gears in it. i have a low gear set 904 and real good converter. i think it well be fine pep wise and I'll be anle to cruise 75 mph at a nice rpm.

i want a highway cruiser though. don't overlook the 2.94. its a great gear too.

I have 8 pumkins in my shop ( 2.76 /2.93/3.32/3.55/3.91/4.30) I chose to use the 2.76 because our speed limit is 80 mph and I drive it often . Got tired of turning 3600 rpm just to keep from getting run over . I guess my little 5.9 puts out some serious torque because I can roast my little Michelins with 2.76s…. The 46rh with 3.55s will give me best of both worlds .
But on a budget a gear change is more realistic . Anything from 2.76s - 3.23s will make your car more pleasant to drive daily .

here's some quick maths:

518: $600 (CL/offer up)
comprehensive rebuild kit w/ shift improver & upgrades: 800
torque converter: 400~1200 (so let's split the baby and call it 800)
mount: 400
lock up/OD control kit: 150
yoke if you didn't get one: 50~100
shortening drive shaft: 150
trans cooler kit: 100
misc odds and ends such as fluid, biscuit mount, dipstick, wiring supplies, etx: 200

so you're in 3200~3500 easy money

this surmises that A: all the hard parts in the trans are good and you're not upgrading planetary gears, and B: you're doing all the work yourself, as well as C: you're okay with cutting up the car.

the OD option has all the pros of not spinning the motor to the moon at highway speed and getting *slightly* better fuel mileage which would only be important if you were long hauling it, tbh. but suffers all the cons of spending a grip of dough, a bunch of time and cutting up the car.

vs spending $500 for some gears and saying: ehhh, that's good enough.
I guess you have not bought any gears lately?
The price of gears and install kits are stupid high.
I just bought two sets, to re-gear a 4x4, it was way more than I expected.

I run 2.77s on the hiway, and I love it. But that's in overdrive,
Does that count, lol.

Looks like Sooke BC is elevation 200ft. Do a compression test.
Here's a rough guide, for a regular TF with a 2000 stall.
I made it up based on my experience. and it works for me.
For First gear take-off;
If your hi-perf 360 is making
190 psi, she'll pull any gear.
By 180, 2.76s are still doable
By 171, 2.94s are pushing it
By 163, 3.23s
by 155, 3.55s
by 147, 3.91s
by 140, 4.30s
The pressures are incrementally 5% difference.
The gears are nominally 9% between.
If you need to bias one way or another, that is acceptable.
If you are running your 3.55s with 155psi 360, you are at the limit, I would not run less gear, unless you are willing to sacrifice some seat of the pants on take-off. If you are exceptionally happy with your 3.55s well then try 3.23s, but do not trade away your 3.55s.

I also have a HO 360. Yes I could do with 3.23s, But I also have more than 180psi, a clutch, and a 3.09 low gear.
I would NOT run 3.23s with a 2.45 low and a stock-type 2000 or less stall.
But I would with a 3000 stall. Maybe even a good 2800, I love those.

Jus my opinions

BTW, once the car is off the line, and half revved out in first, a stout 360 will pull 3.23s real hard. Just get her up to 3500 and mash it!

I guess you have not bought any gears lately?
The price of gears and install kits are stupid high.
I just bought two sets, to re-gear a 4x4, it was way more than I expected.
oh i have, make no mistake. i know that everything has gone up tremendously.

my point was more of the fact that it would be cheaper and easier to regear than to install an OD unit and all that entails. the middle ground of that, i guess, would be a low gear 904.

he's got an 8.75 so basically gear sets are like bread on a windowsill for him.

Re-gear is cheaper, no doubt.
Plus 8.75 never can have too many center sections with gear options.
I have 2.76 thru 5.xx gears to choose from depending on what I am building.

BTW , whats your average interstate speed up there ?
Unless its 80+ 3.23s should be good compromise.
I should have asked that upfront .

ere

-
Back