Anybody running a 260H?

-

1967DartGT

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody is running a Comp Cams 260H in a 273? I'm asking becasue I have a new one I picked up for 50 clams but have also been considering buying a XE256H or XE262H instead. Will I notice any real word difference in performance and/or gas mileage if I use one of the dual pattern grinds, or do you think I should stick with the 260H? This will be a daily driver but I want more oomph than with a stock grind. I'm running 2.76 gears for now, but that could change. I will also be using 302 heads with a little work to them, ~9:1 compression, small tube headers, dual exhaust, 500 cfm carter carb. Intake is yet to be determined.
Cheers,
Kevin

I ran a 268 HE in my 318, it had a lumpy idle a bit but still pulled 16 inch of vacuum at 1000 rpms. For your 273 with 2.73 gears I would use it. I would say get at least 3.23 gears but with $4 + gas a US gallon, maybe not.

If no one has used it on a 273, then has anyone used this cam on a 318? Don't want to waste my time with it if it is junk compared to other options.

If no one has used it on a 273, then has anyone used this cam on a 318? Don't want to waste my time with it if it is junk compared to other options.

Its not junk, just dual pattern setups are favored in a lower compression engine like a 273 or 318. I had one in a 318 for a while. It produced good low end torque and would rev to 5,500. For the price, I would use it. Get the matching lifters and valve springs to match and it should have good low end power.

The dual pattern cams are also so designed to help the exhaust flow since they tend not to be as good as they can be as cast. The balance ratio for intake to exhaust is low and the extra duration helps balance the air and fuel charge in the cylinder(s).

The use of headers helps this balance problem even with stock cams. The addition of a dual pattern cam enhances this. The result, more power and a few RPM's in addition. It's not alot, but when a street machine, street striper or race car get into the picture, a dual pattern cam can be very well worth it.

Sometimes there not. Like in race cars where the cylinder head has been ported alot for max output, a dual pattern cam can actually hurt.

In your case, the power gained will be small. It will make the engine perform better being that the cam makes the engine more efficent, but it will be a small gain.

Now it's a coin toss of more power for more money or still have good power for less money.
I'd run the 260H. It will work well.

In the real world, gas mileage gains between the 2 smaller cams listed would be small and hard to call. You'll find nice street power with the XE262H.

I was wondering if anybody is running a Comp Cams 260H in a 273? I'm asking becasue I have a new one I picked up for 50 clams but have also been considering buying a XE256H or XE262H instead. Will I notice any real word difference in performance and/or gas mileage if I use one of the dual pattern grinds, or do you think I should stick with the 260H? This will be a daily driver but I want more oomph than with a stock grind. I'm running 2.76 gears for now, but that could change. I will also be using 302 heads with a little work to them, ~9:1 compression, small tube headers, dual exhaust, 500 cfm carter carb. Intake is yet to be determined.
Cheers,
Kevin

I used it on my 273, great little performer. That's correct on the vacume only it had a slight lumpy idle. CR on the motor was 9.0. I ran a D4B with a Carter 625 and electronic ignition and 340 exhaust manifolds with 2.5 inch exhaust. With a fresh 904, stock stall and 3:23's I got an average 21 MPG at avg 65 MPH going down to Springfling several years ago

I used it on my 273, great little performer. That's correct on the vacume only it had a slight lumpy idle. CR on the motor was 9.0. I ran a D4B with a Carter 625 and electronic ignition and 340 exhaust manifolds with 2.5 inch exhaust. With a fresh 904, stock stall and 3:23's I got an average 21 MPG at avg 65 MPH going down to Springfling several years ago

I agree John.

Before I rebuilt the 318 in my Duster, it would average about 19 mpg at 65 on the hwy with the former 2.76 gears and stock 'verter.

-Justin

I agree John.

Before I rebuilt the 318 in my Duster, it would average about 19 mpg at 65 on the hwy with the former 2.76 gears and stock 'verter.

-Justin

I had to go back and check my books. The stock 2V 273 had a CR of 8.8 to 1. If you had virgin heads that have never been shaved you could take about .020 off your heads and expect to get about 9.1 to 9.2 easy.

Justin, What are you getting out of that 318 now?

-
Back