Anybody running a TCI 727?

-

sic71dart

Reaction score
I am looking into the "pro/street" 727 sold through Mancini racing. I want something that can reliably live behind 600 hp and probably see high 10s in the 1/4 mile. Does anybody have any experience with these transmissions?

Most guys say TCI stands for "Turns to Crap Instantly". Read about 3 posts that were good about them. Then about 50 that told of their problems they had with them.

BTW Have you looked close at TCI's hp ratings? I don't think they even have one rated to 600 hp. Their high performance street 727 is rated at 300 hp. A stock 727 is good for 400 hp. Something isn't right there.

Call Chris Andrews at Andrews racing. He's a supporter of this board and on of the best torqueflite guys on the planet.

Call Chris Andrews at Andrews racing. He's a supporter of this board and on of the best torqueflite guys on the planet.

I got all my parts for my 727 from Chris as he is local and was not dissapointed in the least. The advice I sought was from both Fishy and Chris too. I rebuilt three or four auto trannys in my life and all were Fords so this was new to me. Now, keep in mind that my application is a 350+ hp 360 at a mile high altitude in a 5200+ lb full time 4WD '74 Ramcharger that will be used for trail riding to my favorite fishing/camping spots plus towing my Duster around. That's some serious tough tranny abuse.

Well, to make long story short, I met a gal at the strip WINNING ET class with a Mr. Andrews built tranny! lol! My trans so far has shifted and worked like a dream with both Fishy's and Chris's advice.

If you are mechanicaly inclined enough, I'd say just build your own. :cheers:

I guess we have a consensus then huh? Ill have to just cough up with a bit more money and have something built that will actually hold up.

I guess we have a consensus then huh? Ill have to just cough up with a bit more money and have something built that will actually hold up.

Yeah. I think you'll be surprised that it won't cost an arm and a leg more from Andrews racing to build you what you need. The TCI junk is overpriced to begin with.

Yeah, I will e-mail him for a quote, or if he is reading this how much would it cost to set me up with a built 727 with a reverse manual valve body capable of reliably handling 600 hp at the engine in a say 3500 lb car.

I have had my TCI since 1992 and I run it REAL hard.NEVER have had one problem with it.It still works fine.......... Jim

Maybe because its a 92' it was built better. Back when TCI cared about quality & not all about making profit like they are today. Just goes to show you they dont make them like they use to....

I as well have had the local big boys say that TCI is just rebuilt junk with black paint & a TCI sticker slapped on it.

We have a new TCI Streetfighter 727 and matching 2000 rpm stall tc behind the 383 in our 66 Charger. Shifts nice and firm with no issues at all as of yet.

If one was looking for a high dollar transmission that bangs through the gears, it should be sourced elsewhere, but I have no problem believing that this trans is every bit as strong as a stocker and should handle up to 450 horsepower or more. Plus, here is California, any trans rebuild, mild or hot, would not cost under a grand like the TCI. I have had numerous stock rebuilds that had hihger costs and ran like crap.

I guess every brand has its negatives and positives. It just depends which unit it is.

If one was looking for a high dollar transmission that bangs through the gears, it should be sourced elsewhere, but I have no problem believing that this trans is every bit as strong as a stocker and should handle up to 450 horsepower or more. Plus, here is California, any trans rebuild, mild or hot, would not cost under a grand like the TCI. I have had numerous stock rebuilds that had hihger costs and ran like crap.

I guess every brand has its negatives and positives. It just depends which unit it is.

Most transmission rebuild shops everywhere charge more to rebuild a torqueflite than you'll pay Andrews or CRT for a rebuilt one including shipping. Andrews and CRT rebuild them all the time and are experts on them so they can charge less since they know them better and can do one faster. Plus they probably buy a higher volume of rebuild parts for them so they get them cheaper. Torqueflites are getting so old now I doubt many rebuild shops stock any parts for them so when rebuild parts are needed they probably cost double what Andrews or CRT charges for them.

Have a TCI 904 in my barracuda that has about 20 1/8 th mile passes & 3000 street miles on it without any trouble & rebuilt the 904 in my valiant myself with a TCI rebuild kit and 8,000 miles & no probs. I am running maybe 350 rear wheel HP in my cuda & 200 in Valiant so I am far from high horsepwer. Have heard about 727 probs. from a few guys due to serious horsepower. If you are going to be looking at 600hp I would think about a more stout build. These are just my personal experiences with TCI products & so far they have been positive.

Oldschoolcuda

-
Back