Anybody running hood pins on their '73-'76?

-

74DartSwinger360

The Brat Pack
Reaction score
If so could you throw up some pics of them through the top of the hood and where mounted under the hood.
I am not sure where to put them and want them on my hood.
Appreciate it thanks

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 409
  • 6.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 422
I have thought about it for a long time, never seen any on a 73 up swinger

this is what i would do and will do... use this bolt and you still get the bumper for adjustments...

Attachments

• 100_5858.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 387
  • 100_5857.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 407
  • 100_5856.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 389
  • 100_5855.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 401
The factory location for the hood pins is marked by that dimple in the fender support. There may also be a corresponding dimple or hole in the hood frame above that location too, there is on the earlier cars.

My '71 Dart GT (the EL5 one anyway) has the hole in both the fender support and the hood frame for the pins in that location. No pins, or hole in the hood skin, but everything else is in the marked location.

The factory used the same dimple to mark the hood pin location on the E-body cars as well.

Attachments

• 100_5855.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 392
I'm torn on hood pins, mines already drilled out... Maybe if they locked for safety...

I'm torn on hood pins, mines already drilled out... Maybe if they locked for safety...

Locking hood pins are out there, they pop up in a search pretty easily. Everything from a $25 Mr. Gasket set up to $100 Wilson locking pins

mrg-1472.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg-1472/overview/

std_locking_hoodpin_sml.jpg

http://wilsonmusclecars.com/HoodpinsLock.html

I am. 73 Dart Sport. I went with Hotchkiss because I liked the look. I have to add, there is a dimple where they say you are supposed to drill the hole. If you look at the pin photo I posted, it is at the 8:00 position from where I mounted mine. I was going to go with that spot, but the hood itself is curved at that spot and the top plate wouldn't sit flat. So I improvised.

View attachment hood pins full frontal.jpg

View attachment Hood pins with black bolts.jpg

View attachment Hood pins hole drilled top.jpg

View attachment Hood pin mounted.jpg

i know what locking pins are... i just cant imagine why you would think you need them, i mean, only thousands of cars run 100's of mph without them...

Locking pins have nothing to do with how fast your car goes. Keeps other people from getting into your engine compartment.

Didn't someone on here just have a distributor stolen while they were parked in a parking lot?

Wrong, wrong wrong! They add at least 50 visual horsepower. Maybe even 75.

LOL! :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Hey, no lanyard cable flapping in the wind right? That has to slow you down.

Blacking it out adds another 2hp heat draw away from under hood temp. Or loss, if it's a hot day. Roll of the dice. High probability of x0 +-... Hood locks have been said to add as much hp as 100% from loss over time, in mechanical components.

I'm debating internal release on the Scamp. I don't like parking lots.

-
Back