anybody smallblocked a d50? how about turbo'd one?

-
how about putting in a srt 2.4 for fuel economy and also for some get up!

There are some guys putting 4G63 from Talon, Eclipse in them. Many work with the OE trans, and those motors, when built appropriately, will handle 30PSI. There is a guy over on TTF.com that put this motor into a 74 Dart...

There were 2 brothers up here in the Maritimes that put Talon power in one. Worked well, but I think just a Magnum would make it work as good as it did. Now a Magnum all spooled up, Cool and crazy fast!

I bought a 93 Dakota with a 318 mag brand new and over the yrs. did some basic bolt on's and in the end had it running 14.40's and it still had the factory crazy wheel rearend. My Dak had to be quite a bit heavier than your d50 so that lil' bugger will be a ton of fun with a turbo'd 5.2.... When you get it done you'll have to post pics and if you get to run it a video and times would be cool.

What would you use for a transmission with that? Or would you convert to front drive also?

LOL

there was a guy selling adapters on here to bolt a 2.4 to a 904 automatic, of course you could also use a newer jeep transmission that came with the 2.4 N/A

........................ a Ford Courier (?) that he had put the drive train out of a 68 Cougar in. Rear end dropped right in but the 302 was a pain..

......my cousin .................. did that on a Mazda pickup.

So far as the Courier / Mazda thing, the FOUR banger Mazda pu's were pretty much the same as a Courier

BUT the ROTARY powered Mazdas came with 4.11 rear axle, and the FRAME was wider, making them much easier to swap. Only problem is, I never really liked the front style of the Rotary

A former friend of mine shoehorned an Olds 350 into a Rotary chassis

302 into a 4x4 Ranger. Thing was more fun off road than on. Top speed, radar gun verified was 125 mph.

we stuffed a 273/904/8 1/4 in a 81 D50. couldnt keep tires on it. street truck, thing was a ffAAAAst. had a neighbor down the road put a 307/350 trans in a 83 , broke it around a light pole in front of my house one night in a drunken stupor. sorry no pics.

273/904/203

SANY0237.jpg

SANY0236.jpg

SANY0218.jpg

SANY0244.jpg

SANY0144.jpg

I had a 73 Datsun for a short time back in the late 70's that a guy built with a Ford 302, was fast but still had Datsun brakes, did not like to stop. He welded a pipe into the oil pan for the cross link to go through. It interfered with oil flow, nail it and oil pressure would drop to almost 0 psi. Got ride of it....

The Small block d50 swap requires a Car oil pan, and chances are the oil pan will sit tight against the crossmember. The only other option is to modify a Truck oil pan (convert it from a rear sump to a front sump)

And the firewall needs to be modified or hammered back to clear the distributor

My d50 has a different frame under it, so I didn't have that problem with the oil pan.

It's easier to shove a B/RB in a D50 than it is to put a Small block in one, both require core support modifications, but the big block doesn't require firewall modifications, and the oil filter isn't in the way of the exhaust either. You thought routing the exhaust on an A-body was bad? try doing the exhaust on a Small Block D50, I had 2 days worth of work getting the exhaust routed back past the transmission.

No small block headers fit either, you're stuck with exhaust manifolds. Sometimes the driver's side truck manifold works, sometimes you need a 340 or early a 273 manifold. I slid my 273 to the left and tilted it at an angle to get the oil filter to fit (you can't run a 90* adapter, there isn't enough room) and to run truck manifolds.

The Small block d50 swap requires a Car oil pan, and chances are the oil pan will sit tight against the crossmember. The only other option is to modify a Truck oil pan (convert it from a rear sump to a front sump)

And the firewall needs to be modified or hammered back to clear the distributor

My d50 has a different frame under it, so I didn't have that problem with the oil pan.

It's easier to shove a B/RB in a D50 than it is to put a Small block in one, both require core support modifications, but the big block doesn't require firewall modifications, and the oil filter isn't in the way of the exhaust either. You thought routing the exhaust on an A-body was bad? try doing the exhaust on a Small Block D50, I had 2 days worth of work getting the exhaust routed back past the transmission.

No small block headers fit either, you're stuck with exhaust manifolds. Sometimes the driver's side truck manifold works, sometimes you need a 340 or early a 273 manifold. I slid my 273 to the left and tilted it at an angle to get the oil filter to fit (you can't run a 90* adapter, there isn't enough room) and to run truck manifolds.

When I built my 84 D50, I used Patriot brand block hugger headers, they fit perfectly & the exhaust was really simple. The oil filter was not an issue at all. I used a huge GM style radiator & mounted it inside the radiator core support, all I had to do was use a remote filler for the cooling system, which I put in the upper rad hose. As for the firewall, no modifacations were needed, I had just enough room to slide the bell housing bolts in with my middle & index fingers,lol, it took a little time but it is possible. I used a passenger car oilpan & lowered the crossmember about 3 inches, so everything cleared , no real hassles.

Attachments

• truck 052.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 126
First time I ever saw a V8/ D-50 was long before Al Gore invented the internet. This was at one of the Mopar Nats burnout contest, some guy showed up with a monkey? doll up on the cowl, jumpin' around with the cam lope. My buddy says "look at this $****", laughing.

I said, "you wait, he might have a 340 or somethun in there."

LOTS of smoke. I might even have a snapshot, somewheres.

D50's are awesome burnout machines, even with a stock 4-banger. The weight on those trucks is pretty much centered completely over the front wheels, so there's nothing to hold the back tires down.

My '87 D50 was a joke in the rain. If I stopped at a redlight, I'd have to slap it up into 4-High before pulling out, and then shift back to 2wd otherwise the truck would sit there and burn the tires through all 5 gears. Go to pull out on a steep hill, same deal, slap it into 4wd before letting the clutch out, or it'd just spin the tires.

I could downshift from 5th/overdrive to 4th at 45mph and break the tires loose just by easing the clutch out and giving it some gas.

Whatever you do, if anyone decides to keep the original 5-speed manual transmission (for a turbo 4-banger swap) STAY AWAY from that transmission!!!

Here's 5th Gear / Overdrive from one of the 7+ KM145 transmissions I killed. They can barely handle a stock 4-banger and are known to launch parts through the transmission casing.

S5001227.jpg

S5001228.jpg

That one split 5th gear open like a rotten egg. I had another transmission that blew up and spit gears through the casing (got dents and holes in the transmission tunnel on the '87 from that transmission).

Use a mazda RX-7 transmission instead if you have to have a 5-speed with the 4-Banger... Or one of the automatic transmissions from a D50, the 3-speed d50 auto is a Torqueflite 904 and the Overdrive is an A500.

-
Back