Anybody tow car with Jeep Wrangler 4.0

-

73dart360

Reaction score
i want to take my valiant to the track tomorrow , i am going to tow it with a 2001 jeep wrangler 4.0 i am getting mixed opinions ,my cousin has the same jeep says he tows his boat which is heavier than my car with no problems , other people say they are weary about that what do you guys think , anybody tow withba jeepn wrangler 4.0

Whether it's an automatic or manual, the usual "stay out of overdrive" applies. It'll probably have no issues with pulling it, but stopping in a hurry could be a little interesting. If the car will be on a trailer with its own brakes, it might not be so bad, but you're still working with a short wheelbase vehicle that doesn't weigh much. Exercise caution and drive a good bit ahead of your physical position and you should be okay.

im renting a car hauler from u haul , the jeep is an automatic, im definately gonna take my time its 1 hr awa all flat no hills , south florida

the egine has the power to. but i think the weak part is/would be the trans. just take your time, and you should have no problems

U-Haul is hostile towards Jeeps, so be warned. If you have a soft top, you may be out of luck. TJ and YJ Wranglers were rated at 2500# max tow weight, so they are unlikely to even rent you the hauler. An LJ is rated at 3500# which would be maxed by a 2-wheel dolly and an A-body.

I would strongly discourage this! Jeeps suck for towing, I've done it. My old 1963 4 cyl CJ-5 would pull a concrete form trailer, but certainly not stop it. My current Jeep is a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited (LJ) and I've pulled a medium pop-up with it a couple times. Not optimal, but workable. If the trailer had brakes, and I had a brake controller it would be better.

Towing cars is why I have a truck.

I've never done it the Cherokee but I have towed a few cars with the Ramcharger. Just out of curiosity I entered in your vehicle on the Uhaul website and it's a no go.

Everything everyone else said is spot on in regards to the wheelbase, brakes and thinking far ahead. It can be done if done carefully.

-
Back