Anybody tried hiding the wiper motor ?

-

76orangewagon

Reaction score
Okay I'm in the middle of smoothing my firewall and want to keep my wipers but hide them by using a newer style compact wiper motor on the interior side of the firewall, I know I'll have to fabricate some mounting brackets (no problem) and do some rewiring, my question is has anyone tried this or seen it done before...

http://www.forabodin iesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=117240

I saw a thread where it was mentioned in passing. I found it back when I was researching putting a modern hemi into my dart, so check those kinds of threads and boards. The guy did exactly what you are describing using the wiper motor from a modern car or truck and a hand fabricated bracket. It _can_ be done, but you'll have to hunt for the guy who's done it for more details.

I put one from a 98 Dakota under the dash on my 73 Dart. Only need to fab 1 bracket. Original wiper linkage hooked right up. Really not hard at all. Email to [email protected] if you want pics.

I would be much more interested in moving the wiper linkage out of the cabin. If only the top of the cowl was removable.
A member here put a hood from a newer Challenger on his Dart but he cut it to the same length as the original. To lower the cowl and take that hood all the way over it would hide the wipers at the park position too. Pipe dreams all around LOL Good luck

Mopar Al, I'd love to see the pictures of the Dakota wiper motor installed. Is this motor intermitten? What switch did you use?

Riddler

Here are some pics of how gocirino (John) did it over on BBD.

file-68.jpg

file-67.jpg

file-69.jpg

Here are some pics of the wiper motor under the dash. Nor real good as it is hard to see when evey thing is painter black. Really easy to do and with no mods to the pivot linkage.

Attachments

• wiper mount 001.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 488
  • wiper mount 011.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 495
  • wiper mount 008.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 474
  • wiper mount 007.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 478
  • wiper mount 006.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 491
  • wiper mount 005.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 490
  • wiper mount 004.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 493
  • wiper mount 003.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 488
  • wiper mount 002.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 489
Al,
thanks for the posts,not only did I need more work to do on the car but this eliminates any clearance issues between the distributor and the wiper motor.
Andrew

Wow, thats exactly what I was looking for.
thanks Mopar Al and Swisswill .I appreciate the help.

Glad I was able to help, as you have hlped me in the past. Door handles, Etc. The raised areas around the wiper motor are for the fuse block,coil,starter relay, horn relay,voltage reg,ECU,Relays for elec fane,head lights, fuel pump,Etc. I can hardly wait to start wiring this nightmare.

This is going to be very useful!!!

Thank you.

Here's how I did mine, attached to a 1" diameter bar incorporated into the cage. Arms are modified stock. Wiper motor is from a Ford Ranger.

Attachments

• 100_1223.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 439
  • 100_1225.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 428
  • 100_1224.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 422
I love the idea lads, the bracketry seems simple enough but are there any issues with wiring though?

There would be a low and high speed, but is there a self park function or is this wired internally on the motor?

Does the motor have the intermittent feature or is that not possible with the older style switch?

I'm looking at this process atm for my Valiant which has a wiper stalk off the column.

Dave

Old dead thread but I'm gonna bump it to see if any info can be obtained pertaining to the switch questions that have been asked already and never answered.

-
Back