Anybody use a fluid filled damper?

-

RDJ

Reaction score
I need a new harmonic balancer/vibration damper for the engine I am going to put together. Looking on ebay I found this Fluid Damper. He makes it sound great, but of course he is trying to sell a product. Anybody use one? My engine will be internally balanced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB-MOPAR-DODGE-318-360-INT-SFI-FLUID-Damper-RP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33616QQihZ016QQitemZ260275541144

Or should I just go with a steel one like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-Mopar-318-340-360-Steel-SFI-Balancer-Chrome-Damper_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713Q2em153Q2el1262QQcategoryZ33616QQihZ012QQitemZ220382834380

I've used one on a 786hp BB Chevy street motor, the bearings looked pretty good, but I think that had more to do with long aluminum rods. But I would use one again.

I've had 3 friends use them.Over time, every one leaked. one immediately, and two others a year or two after purchase. All 3 were real Fluidampers. if I need a good balancer, ATI gets my knod too.

I've used Fluidampr dampers for years without any problems at all. I usually use ATI for race motors becuase they have a lot of other options such as longer hubs to clear belt drives and dampers with Chevy bolt patterns and such. But I've run a Fluidampr on my street motors for many years and never had any issues at all.

I had one, made it like 10,000 miles in my truck......... leaked........

My crank looked good after 200K, still took std bearings.

For racing it would be good to have, but not for a DD.

I have only used the one, didn't leak, but didnt see much mileage either, so maybe I got lucky.

i could never justify the cost. i know they work well but, so did ma's stuff. my opinion.

Good point post car. A proper and well done balnce job even with stock parts should last a long time and perform well. Though, IF I could, the stock parts would be new.

There are SFI approved choices. They just cost more due to the construction and testing.

-
Back