Anybody use Summit's exhaust kit

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
Just got the new Summit catalog and was thumbing through it and noticed they've got a heck of a good price on a mandrel bent alluminized exhaust kit for 67-69 Cuda's. The 2-1/2" kit is only $200 with mufflers. Just wondering if anybody here has used one of these kits and if so what they think about it. How did it fit?... Etc...

I am thinking about using their 3 inch kit and 3 inch balance tube kit on my car but I will need to buy some extra parts and do some fabrication to make it fit a car with fenderwell headers and factory tips. I have not shopped around for prices on a custom-bent system from a local shop but I'll bet Summit's price will make the extra work worthwhile. I would not need the mufflers though. I am using Dynomax Ultraflo Welded race mufflers. I plan on setting off car alarms all over town.

I used the Jegs version. Minor triming was needed. 1 pipe needed a very minor expansion to conect to the next pipe. (>1/16th) I used a Leslie pipe expander that works via a wrench (ratchet or breaker bar prefured.) to get that tiny tiny amount larger diameter.

Tail pipes are trim to fit in overall length.

If you check into members resto's and my thread you can see it.
Overall, I have to give the kit (Mufflers included) a 8-1/2 out of 10. The kit as listed in the catolog said to use with Hooker Comp. headers. So I did since the only other headers up for consideration were Headmans.

No shipping or handling charges.

I used the Jegs version which might be the same. I bought the pipes only for 169.00 and 2 hooker aero chamber mufflers. Just minor trimming with an exhaust pipe cutter to get them right. In the end they hang high and and sound great, not too much interior noise either. I'd recommend them. Don't forget you need some type of mufffler hanger bracket on the pass side in case your car was a /6 originally like mine.

I used their 2 1/2 in. on my 72 Valiant that I'd swapped the 6 for a 360. I used Hooker's and they bolted right up. If you're on a very tight buget it's a good deal. The muffler's sound okay and they look like Flowmaster's would fit right in. It's not like a TTI system for sure but it'll get you're car on the road so you can have some fun. Good luck.

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like it's a good deal then. I don't have a shop around me with a mandrel bender anywhere that I know of and when I saw this for $200 it sure looked good. I allready have Hooker super comps on it too so it sounds like a bolt up pretty much. You all made my day.:toothy7:

EEEEEEEEEE

The Jegs kit called for the comp. headers, not the super comp headers. Additional trimming or pipe extentions maybe needed. But overall, I also think it was a good deal.
A "H" pipe would be a good additon if your not in a rush for the extra cutting to install it.

Anybody out there make over the axle pipes not in a kit, but just alone?

Thanks for pointing the differece in headers Rumble. I never noticed that. I was thinking about an H or X pipe. Which ever I could get in there easy. Got to do some measureing and checking.

Since were on the subject of the summit kit, I just got a set of the Doug's headers for my car and was looking into the summit kit as well. As mentioned it says the summit kit is a good bolt up to the Super comp headers....wonder what type of mods I will have to do to get these pipes to work with the doug's??...Anyone have any experience with this?

Fishy, the "H" pipe will be easy. The "X" pipe, you'll just basicly use the over the axle pipes and possibly some of the straight pipe cut up.
Then, (If the X is used) I think it would be a waste to purchase the kit....provided someone makes over the axle pipes.

Yeah actually its on mine..good cheap works well. tack it together I had a pipe seperate from using the clamps hooked right up to the headers not much in modifications needed. is it TTi...lol well no BUT its good for the $$$

rumblefish360 said:
I think it would be a waste to purchase the kit....provided someone makes over the axle pipes.

Yeah I know what you mean Rumble. Only thing is I haven't been able to find anyone else that sells just the tail pipes.

Year One has tailpipes in 2¼ or 2½ for systems with or without factory tips. The only problem is that they cost the same as the whole summit kit. $100 each side. Pass the vasoline.

Ahhhh, that is the stuff that makes me mad. 2 tail pipes for the price of the whole kit. Probably not a mandrel bent pipe since it's a resto house.

Fishy, if you can not find tail pipes, then the kit and seperate purchases of the X pipe is it.

I thought about it as well. I didn't look to hard since I purchased the kit and didn't want to bother with the hassles otherwise.

i know two different guys that used the summit kits...

72 challenger 2 1/2 kit and his fits great.

73 challenger 3" kit he hates the way it fits

the guy with the 73 challenger also used either a 2 1/2 or 3" kit on a 68 road runner and it fit great....

Most of what Summit sells for exhaust is made by Walker, not Summit. Walker makes most of the kits that muffler shops sell. They also make Dynomax.

Even if I can't use much of the front pipes due to using a X pipe it's still a good deal since it comes with mufflers. Much better deal than paying the same price for just tail pipes from Year One.

used a summit 2.5" kit on my 68 Coronet - the tail pipes fit pretty good but I've got summit headers so the front didn't fit at all. still worth the money tho

Good link gerty. They list @ $122.14 each.
I guess, if you wanted to do an "X" pipe system and these pipes, you could have a nice set up.
Summit/Jegs kit vs Pypes tails only is about equal.

$200+ chump change vs $244.28 and shipping.
Lower performance vs better performance @ a higher cost.
(What else is new?)

At least theres a place to get tail only in a decent size. (2-1/2 & 3 inch)

Jeg's also has an X-pipe kit with cut-outs welded in already. i was gonna run that kit but I needed to save some cash so I just put in an H-Pipe. If you are using Super Comp headers I suggest getting a set of the Hedman S-Tubes....these will bolt up to the header collector and neck it down to 2 1/2" or 3" dependig on the P/N you get and allow you to even up the tubes and let you hook up to an X or H-pipe system.

-
Back