anybody use "wire brush" on weed trimmer?

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
I was looking for an item I thought existed and came across this:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CRWT48Q/?tag=fabo03-20
Looks interesting, would save time replacing the plastic line that runs thru the machine like water thru a sive. Little concerned if one of the bristles pop out and sticks in your boot. May have to do a little product testing. Let me know if you have an experience with this type of item. Thanks!

I've never used one like that, but I did use one years ago that put hard plastic blades in place of the string. The plastic was supposed to hinge if you hit anything with it, but eventually it snapped the flex shaft that connected the trimmer head to the engine. I'm not sure if it was the increased weight of the new trimmer head, or the repeated impacts it saw when the head hit stuff. I was able to replace just that broken piece, but I have only run string trimmer heads since then.

I'm sure if you had a heavier duty trimmer it may not be an issue. Mine was just a homeowner grade Homelite.

The wire brush will work great until it grabs/snags onto something and gets thrown into your ankle??? I prefer heavy duty zip ties:

I've never used one like that, but I did use one years ago that put hard plastic blades in place of the string. The plastic was supposed to hinge if you hit anything with it, but eventually it snapped the flex shaft that connected the trimmer head to the engine. I'm not sure if it was the increased weight of the new trimmer head, or the repeated impacts it saw when the head hit stuff. I was able to replace just that broken piece, but I have only run string trimmer heads since then.

I'm sure if you had a heavier duty trimmer it may not be an issue. Mine was just a homeowner grade Homelite.
I had used one that I thought had metal "arms" that attached to spindles. That was what I was looking for when I came across this,"new and improved(?)". I saw the blade type you were talking about but like the string it's plastic and I'd prefer not to have more of that in the ground. Just me. Thanks for your input!

The wire brush will work great until it grabs/snags onto something and gets thrown into your ankle??? I prefer heavy duty zip ties:

Zip ties sound good but again it's plastic. I thought about using some type of braided steel wire but have nut looked into how to attach it. The "buffing" feature of the wire cup brush holds my interest. Seems easier to clean the concrete than scrubbing or hosing it off. (no pressure washer). I see what you say about the strands flying off...guess I wear my tall boots and thick socks for this operation. Thanks for your input! May just have to bite the bullet and try it out. Wonder how it would work for removing paint from wood????

A under 30 dollar gimmick produced by some BS China crap company
Understand that one strand of wire that if it ever comes loose is a projectile
Have you ever used a cheap wire wheel on a angle grinder, than you will understand my concern

I have one that has 3 fixed metal blades. Comes in in handy in the FL Swamp overgrowth. Thing takes down small weed trees

Last edited:
I had a close friend who was cutting his grass, he was about 16 at the time. I noticed that his Dad ran to his son (my friend). They went to the car and left....later I found out that they had gone to the hospital. The lawn mower had hurled a piece of safety wire into my friend's foot. The piece of wire pierced his shoe and buryied itself deep into his foot. He told me later that the doctor at the emergency room grabbed the wire with a set of pliers and couldn't pull it out. He said that it hurt like hell!! They finally got the wire out of his foot but not until they had to pull extremely hard on the wire. Stuff moving at high speeds can cause great harm!!!

the comment about cheap company...there are a few listed and none of the names appear except on Amazon. No way to trace back who produces them. Maybe a good idea, probably not executed to the best degree. I'll give it some time to mature and see what happens. Hopefully, no lawsuits. Thanks to you all!

I've got a Ryobi trimmer that uses several interchangeable heads. Got the normal string trimmer,(twin lines) an edger, and a brush cutter. It uses a saw style blade. Works very well for tall heavy weeds that would eat trimmer line. Just try not to hit rocks or masonry. Blade has been resharpened many times.

-
Back