Anybody using 273 adjustible rockers their drag car???

-

T67POWER

Reaction score
I was thinking of using my 273 valve gear on my 360.
The car is a street\bracket car and raced all the time.
Does anybody use the stock 273 valve gear on the engine they run at the track, or even a street car that's run hard.
If you run this valve gear with a performance cam, let me know what cam your have also. Thanks for any information you have :read2:

I was thinking of using my 273 valve gear on my 360.
The car is a street\bracket car and raced all the time.
Does anybody use the stock 273 valve gear on the engine they run at the track, or even a street car that's run hard.
If you run this valve gear with a performance cam, let me know what cam your have also. Thanks for any information you have :read2:
i ran it on my 340 at one time with with a custom schneider hyd cam.280/290 dur . on a 108 lsa.never really saw any use above 6000 rpms though,as its only a street car.

Did you have to adjust them all the time???
I am wondering if the adjusters loosen up when run at higher rpms past 4500 to 6500.

buy some crane or smith bros adjusters for them, you dont have too but I prefer a lock nut vs a friction fit. Ive had the stock adjusters come loose on hyd cams. Ive run them with a hyd cam and crane adjusters turning 6500 no problems.

Did you have to adjust them all the time???
I am wondering if the adjusters loosen up when run at higher rpms past 4500 to 6500.

If in good shape you almost never have to adjust them. If you run the original 273 friction rockers you can adjust them hot and running. On a fresh rebuild I adjust them by hand cold, then hot and running. Run 5,000 to 10,000 miles, then adjust hot and running. My brother has about 400,000 miles on a "67" 273. This car was never allowed to shift itself and has cruised at 100+ all day long. It has a small cam, Original 273 Commando. My 64 had a TRW 284 duration solid cam and valve adjustments were almost nonexistant. It was run past 6,000 rpm regularly. I do not think I'd run them past 6,500 RPM. Most of the "adjust valves often" I heard, came from Chevy and Ford guys who installed heavy springs on their heads and didn't install threaded rocker studs. Sometimes they would pull the studs up, since they were just a press fit in the bosses. Lock nuts are better, but you have a set of 273 rockers so it wouldn't take much to give them a try.

I have them on my 69 Dart 340 . comp 480 cam, double springs, street / strip car ran at the strip at high rpm no problems and dont have to adjust driven daily probably a couple of thousand miles a year.

I'm running them on my 68 with a comp hydraulic cam.

I didn't expect the positive results with a performance cam.
This is good news.
My 273 rockers are in great shape.
The 360 might be getting a solid cam.COOL 8)

I didn't expect the positive results with a performance cam.
This is good news.
My 273 rockers are in great shape.
The 360 might be getting a solid cam.COOL 8)
i ran them with mopar 557 solid with no probs mine had lock nuts went 10.60 with them

i ran them with mopar 557 solid with no probs mine had lock nuts went 10.60 with them

I ran the on the same .557 cam for years. On my 340 7200 rpm never had a problem with them.

Back in the 80's I ran the 273 rockers on my 12.5 to 1 340. I had a Crane 585/585 solid lifter camshaft & my shift point was at 7800RPM. I didn't have any issues with the friction fit adjusters.

I run stock 1965 273 rockers on my drag car. Smith made the perfect length pushrods for me to use with my hydraulic cam.

That is what most people use in NHRA stock eliminator. Rules dictate we run stock or replacement rockers. Be sure to check them all out because there is a huge difference in ratio from rocker to rocker. We usually send them out and have them bushed and ratio corrected to what we need. Most of the fast small block stockers see over 7200 through the lights. Good luck.

-
Back