Anyone carry a "temporary use spare" in their car?

-
I would for sure if i was in a remote area, but i never drive the car more than 15-20 miles from home

I understand and largely agree, but my experience on I-70 in the middle of the Utah desert is there is no cell signal for like 50 miles in places
That's the same issue out here in Wyoming. Just rescued a guy in a Honda with no spare a few weeks ago in an area with no cell service.

My 2016 Mustang GT doesn't come with a spare, and this model doesn't have a spare available that fits. The fronts are 275/40/19 and with the 15" rotors, Ford doesn't have a spare to fit. The rear is a 275/40/19 and the offset wont allow the rears to swap to the front. I carry a plug kit, a compressor and green slime. I picked up a nail in the inside sidewall on the freeway last year. I tried to use the "Flat repair crap" that came in the car, but didn't know I had a hole on the sidewall. I was only able to get about 15 lbs air to get me off the freeway and stop to air again. Then I got to the gas station and filled to 25 lbs and made it to a Les Schwab. Thats when they told me I had a hole in the sidewall. $350 for a tire. Nope, fill it to 50 lbs and I went to work. Got off work and towed it home. Ordered 2 new tires off of tire rack for $296 and plugged my old tire and drove it to the install shop. So now I carry a Harbor freight Aluminum jack, breaker bar with the correct socket, plugs and the above compressor and slime. Longer trips I take the good 275/40/19 and if needed will have it mounted on my rim.

Just today the neighbor lady was telling us her daughter and grandkids were coming from Minneapolis to visit since the daughter had five days off from work. She and her husband traded cars so she could make the trip as her Nissan Leaf commmuter car would not make such a trip but his BMW would. Just outside of Laplant SD she had a flat tire. Well, BMW outfits all of their cars with run flat tires and no spare. She was able to drive to Eagle Butte, SD at 50 mph. The Eagle Butte Co-op didn't have a tire to fit her Bimmer but could order one. The daughter got a room at THE motel in Eagle Butte. The tire arrived in two days and she was able to turn around and get back to Minneapolis in plenty of time for work this morning. No spare = no visit. The neighbor lady could not belive they sell cars with no spare tires! Guess what she drives...... a 2015 Cadillac ATS!

Last edited:
You can get spares on a lot of cars, as an option. Not sure about the BMWs but on regular Mustangs you can. Mine just has big brakes so no spare option.

On my Chrysler 300C SRT8 there was no spare but it came with air compressor which also had an option to inject a fix a flat type material into the tire when you're inflating it. I bought an extra and carry it in my Durango.

On my Chrysler 300C SRT8 there was no spare but it came with air compressor which also had an option to inject a fix a flat type material into the tire when you're inflating it. I bought an extra and carry it in my Durango.

That's what mine had. Didn't work with a nail in the sidewall.

So I did find something at the pic and pull that looks like it will work, almost exactly same size as my rear tires at 25.5"
Still have to pull one of my front and rear tires off to test fit and make sure it clears calipers and such. But it fits perfectly
in the spare tire well. Also picked up a like new scissor jack, not going to use the original type jack on my new bumpers.

I am running sbp in the front and bbp in the rear. My daily commute is 14 miles, and I have AAA.

I am not going to carry one of each bolt pattern in the trunk. I'm doing everything I can to lose weight. I may get a donut when I finally upgrade the front to big bolt pattern.

I am running sbp in the front and bbp in the rear. My daily commute is 14 miles, and I have AAA.

I am not going to carry one of each bolt pattern in the trunk. I'm doing everything I can to lose weight. I may get a donut when I finally upgrade the front to big bolt pattern.

You can also find steel rims with dual bolt pattens. They get used for studded tires.

Just bought a ford temp spare on my latest salvage yard trip. Measures 24.5" dia 4.5" width BBP, holes for 1/2" studs. Will clear rear discs on xploder 8.8, and front discs with cordoba rotors and calipers. Looks rough, but thats just the dirt on it, its never been used. I will wash it, and hit it w a little armor all. It wasnt in a trunk, but i eyeballed evilbay and matched up pix. Ebay listing says its from 2002 grand marquis / crown vic. I am sure theres other years it can be gotten from. I need a second one for my kids car too. Price was right $10 at the u pull it. I plan on running 225-60R15s which are 25.6" diameter. So for temp use it should not be too awful on a limited slips clutches.

20180612_180725.jpg

-
Back