Anyone done the 318 to 390 stroker build ?

-

MileHighDart

Reaction score
I need more power !

Currently running a 318, .030 over, 340 cam, edelbrock performer intake 600cfm elelbrock carb, early 340 exhaust manifolds. Runs good but I want more...

Thinking of doing the 390 stroker, just wondering if anyone has done it,, did you buy a kit or shop for the parts individually ?

Also wondering,,,,Since I had the engine bored .030 over and assembled several years ago, its only been driven around 5000 miles...
Would I have to get additional machine work done on the cylinder bores to take the new pistons,,, or should my bores be ok as long as I get .030 over pistons ?

Next, how much will it cost to put together the parts for shortblock.
I'm already planning on looking for J or X heads cause i'm pretty sure the 318 heads would not be the best choice for a 390.

OR, Option 2
Pick up a used but running 360 and do a basic rebuild, then add cam, better heads.. etc.

I dont have 4 or 5 grand to spend on an engine so I need the most bang for the buck.. or lack of bucks... lol

I am slowly pulling the parts together for my 318/390 stroker build, you would save a little on buying parts individually but you'll probably lose that saving in additional freight costs.

Unless you're really attached to the 318 I would go the 360 route also - and if it only has 5000 miles since rebuild it's probably a bit of a waste to strip it right down.

302 heads might be a better option for you than J's.

Dean.

Those 302 heads might be OK for a 318 but not a 390 stroker, It choke them up.

I am glad I did not fell in to that 302 heads with my 318. I seen a pair and the ports look so tiny-yes they can be ported but thats more money and those heads do crack easy.

I found a pair of MP high swirl heads, castings # 576 with the 2.02 intakes. Had Muscle Motors milled them .030 which gave me 63cc chambers. My 318 has more power everywhere, at low rpms and of course at higher rpms. The ports are a bit smaller than the old 360 ports but still bigger than any 318 heads and way bigger than those 318. Yeah, they claim small ports give a faster flow, but all I know is I am 1 happy guy having the newer 360 heads on my 318.

Look at the old Chevy's 327, those ports are big too and they use a 2" intake also, same with the old Boss 302 Fords. I do have headers and 3.91 gears and MSD so if it was stock with 2.73 gears maybe then those HS 302 heads would be good to use But not on no 390 stroker of even a 360.

Well I'm starting to think maybe picking up a 360 might be cheaper and easier. Found a local guy selling a 360 and auto trans from a 78 Cordoba for $400. Engines still in the car so I can hear it run, or even drive it before its pulled.
Sounds like a good starting point, if I can score it before someone else does.

Thanks Guys

Just bought a book on stroking small block Mopars

It is very informative and they do not recommend stroking a 318 due to cost of parts compared to the cheap and plentiful 360s out there.

Build the 360, sell the 318 and have the power you crave at about the same money in it even after buying the 360.

It all depends on your build now. What 30 over pistons were put in? There are threads on this site that will help you on a 318 stroker.
Ya 360's are around, Ya you have more cubes to start, ya it will cost you more to stroke a 318 with less cubes,........But its funner to say "Yes i just smoked you, and yes its a 318, not a 360"
Im a 318 die hard, so im biast, but dont under estamate the good ol teen, there is alot of power to be found!

This maybe a little different take then everyone else has said before but:

Why not put some decent heads on your 318 and run that while you save up to get a 360 to build or stroke. If you look around you may even find a set of heads for sale at a decent price. I saw an add on craigslist for some 2.02 valve 587 "J" heads for $200 that were fresh from the shop. Called the guy an he had those and a set of 302 swirl port heads with big valves with low miles for $300. I have seen a few guys at track with 318's that run mid 13's in a street driven a-body after they bolted a 340/360 top end on them with a decent hyd cam, headers, intake, etc.

If your are going to build a 360 , you might be able to buy a MP 360 short block (with KB pistons, etc) for less than you can build one (like under $1400).

Bob

Magnum 360 crate motor, you can get this at 380 horse? can't really build that for $4000k

read how to build big inch mopar small block tonight

I would say a must read for anyone thinking about building a small block stroker

-
Back