Anyone else have issues with NAPA/Oreilly master cylinders?

-

Chained_360

Delusional Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm curious because I'm about to install the fourth one in my '68 barracuda and am kinda tired of it (to be fair, the first one in the car had sat for 10 years and was in bad shape). After I replaced the muck-filled master cylinder with a NAPA reman unit when I got the car in 2015, I drove it for a few months before the master cylinder would hang up and not release the brakes once the pedal was pressed. At the time, the local NAPA didn't have any more in stock so I went to O'reilly's to get one instead. The only issue I had with it was the fitting in the cylinder for the front brake circuit wasn't pressed in far enough, so I had to use some adapters to get the brake like to thread in. And now, my brake lines have finally rusted themselves from the inside, filling the whole brake system with rust particles.

I've given up trying to slap band-aids on my brake system and have finally decided to just replace everything in the car that comes into contact with brake fluid. I ordered stainless lines and new wheel cylinders, but I am hesitant to go back to NAPA for another master cylinder. Has anyone else had these issues with name brand parts store master cylinders? And if so, what are some good suggestions that aren't crazy expensive like Wilwood? (Keep in mind I'm on a highschooler budget)

When master cylinders are rebuilt they may be honed or even re-surfaced but a larger piston is not used so some leak.
I always use new.

Well.... we don't know that contaminated fluid didn't kill the first reman'd replacement. There isn't a huge difference in cost of new online versus reman'd at a part store.

I have had no issues with the new O'rielly's MC's, I never buy reman'd brake parts, they have always given me problems.

Brake parts are cheap, don't you be. Use new.

Myself, I use DOT5 fluid. Many on here will trash talk it. But the system can't rust if the fluid can't absorb water. Which.......DOT3/4 does readily.

Harley used DOT 5 for over thirty years and I never had do anything to those brakes except hoses and shoes, and I worked on Harleys for a decade.

That makes sense with the MC bore not matching the Piston on the remans. I'll buy a new one, and that argument for DOT 5 fluid is real good... I don't want to rust my lines out again

-
Back