Anyone else having issues with their chrysler black box voltage regulator?

-

71DodgeDemon340

Reaction score
So about a year or so ago my voltage regulator went bad. Replaced it and all was well, here recently i noticed the ammeter has been a bit jumpy at idle. Haven't fully tested out the regulator yet but anyone else having issues with the chrysler black box regulator?

Those generally have a good reputation, but with the chineseoation of parts, "anything" is possible nowadays.

Its done good but when it failed it blew my 30 amp main fuse, both headlights, both taillights and reverse. Got up to 20 volts

You can find NOS regulators for around $40-50. There were a couple of vendors selling them at the Nationals last year.

ANYTHING can fail. ANYTHING. When you see a car in a yard, or junk one out that's been run for 20 years and at the time it was junked it was still being run WITH THAT REGULATOR that says to me that these are pretty reliable.

"Back in the day" when I sold auto parts there was not a "particular run" on Mopar regulators compared to any other kind.

When the old style (mechanical) voltage regulators burn out, they can be fixed easily by soldering a short wire to bridge the burnt internal wire. Just take off the black cover and search for the burnt/broken wire and bridge it with a splice/solder. When their "points" get pitted, file them with a points file. They can last for many years afterward.

-
Back