Anyone ever see a shock do this?

-

BrianT

Here we go again...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was working on my Duster today and I noticed that the left rear shock looks funny. I've never ran across anything like this before? The upper tube is scraping the paint off of the lower tube. It doesn't look broken but there is something fishy going on there.

1703979685683.jpeg

Seen many times, usually on cheap shocks. Alignment issue with the top/bottom parts. Bend it back if it bothers you.

I just went out in the garage to further inspect it and the weld is broken at the top. I'll start looking for a replacement. Thanks!

Wearing on the inside.
Maybe a good analogy would be - Like a piston in a cylinder bore, as they wear, clearances open up and the piston can actually "rock" a little more than it should. I suppose the shaft could get tweaked as well.

I just went out in the garage to further inspect it and the weld is broken at the top. I'll start looking for a replacement. Thanks!
Great that you went back and double checked. That's not ever normal, but more a warning.

Is there a possibility that the ends got tightened with the shock fully extended that might put the shock in a situation where it might cause a misalignment when the body weight is applied.

Might cause the broken weld too over time?

I had a few rattles in the rear that I was searching for. I believe one of them was the shock?

I’ve had cracked ones before on my trucks-back when I beat the tar out of them!!

Looks like bottom of the barrel cheapest grade Monroe shocks. Not worth the Price of the box they come in

I've had them on three different cars and this is the first time I've had trouble with them. I imagine it's like everything else, make it cheaper to increase profits and quality goes down. I'm can't justify spending $300 on a pair of shocks for a car that gets 500 miles a year.

-
Back