Anyone ever sell a car on Ebay?

-

dubldart340

Reaction score
I am ready to unload my '88 Shelby Z and have considered putting it on Ebay. Any advice from others on selling a car this way? Of course it will get a chance to be listed on this board first.

Never did it but have heard horror stories.

Been told Except cash only, no money order, no bank checks from purchaser and let them arrange pick up and pay pick up service directley!!!

I've sold a few cars on eBay. It wasn't all that bad.

Use an escrow service... eBay used to have a deal with escrow.com where you'd get a discount if you used that service. There should be some information on eBay about it.

The way it works is the seller pays escrow.com, they let you know they've received the payment so you can release the car. Once the buyer receives the car, inspects it they notify escrow.com and they release the money to you. If the buyer rejects the vehicle, the buyer is responsible for returning it to you.

I sold a VW bug on e-bay it went smooth. Guy paid cash at pick up and then tried to sell me car back 3 years later. But all went well. I didnt buy car back though Im done with foreign cars. Make sure buyer has excellent feedback and specify deposit and payment info.

I sold my 70 Cuda threw ebay. It actually was bought by someone that saw it there but not actually on it. Its good advertising for the money.

I bought my 71 Dart Swinger on Ebay. The auction ended on a Thursday night (9pm) and I loaded up Friday morning at 4am (7 hours later)and went to pick it up. I inpected the car before the money changed hands and I was prepared to pay the seller a relisting fee if I did not to buy the car. The car was "as advertised" so I paid the guy and loaded it on a trailer and drove off!!!

i have bought and sold on ebay.here is the best advice i can offer .take pics of body all angles /interior/and engine.make sure you give a good detailed description of entire car and very important how and when you expect to be paid.i would also specify to be contacted by the winning bidder you can exchange contact info thru ebay.also you can check the high bidders feedback if they have a lot of negatives for non payment you can cancel thier bid thru ebay all of this should help protect both you and the buyer.one more thing if you know how much you are willing to take and no less set a reserve and maybe a buy it now price it will keep you from losing the car for less than what you expect hope this helps

Take cash or M/O only..no! Western unions! period!
Wait till the M/O clears then release the car. Period.

I make it rule not to take deposits.
Holds up other buyers. Never give out the reserve. Just my 3 cents.

I just sold a non-running `73 VW super beetle on e-Bay. No engine in the car.....I specified I would prefer a local transaction.... I requested $100 deposit through PayPal or money order before I even gave directions to cover my listing fee.... Know what? Some knob from Kentucky won the auction, no payment, all stories, all bull ****.... For the lousey $500 it sold for it's become a hassle. PLUS now I have to dispute the sale to get my listing & selling fee's refunded. That's about $90. And the damn car is still in my way. :?

Otherwise I've had great success with e-Bay. Just the car has been a pain in the tuckus....

-
Back