Anyone ever use exhaust wrap on a radiator hose ?

-

Workingdog1

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
U apologize in advance for lengthy post and Forum.

Thought I was finally going to fire 64 Dart 318 yesterday . . . failed lifter, dropped valve . . . bud had fresh 273 heads sitting
for reasonable price.

I'm not in to good of shape so had farmed out some install and minor BS to finish.
Then the F'er flaked and not returning calls etc. Left messages with his contacts to no avail. Months later . . .

Onward, slowly picking away I've realized why I farmed the thing out to begin with. New Champion Radiator to fit 6 cyl. core support 19 ", Flowcool Pump, new lower hose had kink I was not happy with so used old hose that seemed to alleviate kink, although still a ***** to coax into place.

After weeks of F'n around with all final BS I figure add water and additional fresh gas, crank engine with no spark for at least some lube and we're off to the races lol.

Started to add distilled water at $ 3 gallon and pouring out at lower hose and it's past twilight. Had son take me to bar that is down the street as why not ? Actually the Kamikaze's worked.

I reluctantly crawled under to today and couldn't tell if hose problemo or bad radiator BS. Disconnect lower hose add tap water, and tank seems fine at connection not under pressure so apparently hose issue.

Late today despite O'Reilly clerk saying no Flex Hose 1 3/4 to 1 1/2 he looks up, has in stock and at 20" long, $ 38, I figure what the heck give it a whirl.

Fits pretty good other than contacting the new mechanical fuel pump. Before I put hose on and add water/coolant etc. I'm wondering if it would be advisable to wrap said hose to isolate heat.

If this is not an option, I really do not care. If needed I'll run Electric Pump and should probably replace fuel tank etc.

I hope to run this SOB that' should have been running a few months ago before my durned Bday in August.

Thoughts ?

Sorry but he is gone for the weekend and I will only pay bar prices a couple of times a year.

Thank you for the advice and constructive criticism.

pour yourself a tall vodka and don't worry about it. the hose is probably as hot as the engine and the ambient temp around the pump, hell, probably the pump body itself.

if it really concerns you, for a bucks down option cut up a bike tire or something and use it as a buffer between the two where they're touching. otherwise mc master has all kinds of hi-temp sleeving that would work.

pour yourself a tall vodka and don't worry about it. the hose is probably as hot as the engine and the ambient temp around the pump, hell, probably the pump body itself.

if it really concerns you, for a bucks down option cut up a bike tire or something and use it as a buffer between the two where they're touching. otherwise mc master has all kinds of hi-temp sleeving that would work.
That makes sense, I'm over thinking it.

Had bought a new Carquest formed hose and it was shorter 1" +/- than old hose and fit poorly. As stated I used the old and was quite surprised how bad it leaked upon fill.
The only flex hose available locally was much longer and actually fits well except at fuel pump.
The Champion Radiator connection is roughly same length and orientation but . . .

It would probably be better coming off perpendicular to the tank.

Thanks for the input.

-
Back