Anyone ever use valve/lash tuning?

-

340inabbody

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am curious has anybody used valve lash as a tuning parameter for ANY REASON? If so what did you use it for and what effects came of it?

Yeah, so, I lashed my hydros at 1/2 turn from zero; the reason is so that if they would pump up at 7200, the valves can't hit the pistons.
So far so good, lol.

I know, not what you wanted to hear, and it sounded funnier in my head, but hey, at least I'm not the old cranky guy.

For a streeter it's kindof a non issue......
unless you have a slanty.
If you set them too tight. they idle like crap.
Too loose and the are stinking noisy.
I can't tell if they are 125 hp or 120, cuz I never run mine to 4500 anyway, so I set 'em a lil loose and let them clatter.
What? still off track? Sorry man it's two in the morning, lol.

With solid lifters I have used valve lash to adj the torque curve. Tighter to kill some bottom end, and looser to gain bottom end torque. But it is better to get the correct cam.

Yeah, so, I lashed my hydros at 1/2 turn from zero; the reason is so that if they would pump up at 7200, the valves can't hit the pistons.
So far so good, lol.

I know, not what you wanted to hear, and it sounded funnier in my head, but hey, at least I'm not the old cranky guy.

For a streeter it's kindof a non issue......
unless you have a slanty.
If you set them too tight. they idle like crap.
Too loose and the are stinking noisy.
I can't tell if they are 125 hp or 120, cuz I never run mine to 4500 anyway, so I set 'em a lil loose and let them clatter.
What? still off track? Sorry man it's two in the morning, lol.
Lol “hey, at least I'm not the old cranky guy”

You don’t have to be old to be cranky lol

Thanks for your input interesting information.

With solid lifters I have used valve lash to adj the torque curve. Tighter to kill some bottom end, and looser to gain bottom end torque. But it is better to get the correct cam.
Thanks and interesting. As you know, we don’t live in a perfect world.

I presume you are talking about solid lifters. Effect is very limited. If you go much looser than the stated lash, you risk valve train damage/failure because you move off the lash ramp of the lobe onto the opening ramp.
Going tighter does not cause a problem as long as not so tight that valves are not seating.
Changing lash has more effect on idle quality/vacuum & very little effect on shifting the power curve.

This guy put together a couple of videos that are very good on what you can do with lash to change your tune...

I fully realize that in an ideal situation the right and best way to set valve lash is to soec when everything else is ideal. BUT WHEN THINGS ARE NOT or WHAT A MINOR DEVIATION FROM CENTER ACTUALLY DOES to for example craning compression etc. Ie cause and effect.

I am curious what one can do with minor adjustments in lash on a solid lifter set up. I should have stated this earlier.

I fully realize that in an ideal situation the right and best way to set valve lash is to soec when everything else is ideal. BUT WHEN THINGS ARE NOT or WHAT A MINOR DEVIATION FROM CENTER ACTUALLY DOES to for example craning compression etc. Ie cause and effect.

I am curious what one can do with minor adjustments in lash on a solid lifter set up. I should have stated this earlier.
He goes through that in the videos i posted....

I tried changing the lash on my solid roller. Called for 28/32 warm. It ran beautifully. I changed it to 20/24. Didnt idle worth a crap so I changed it back. Kim

-
Back