Anyone get bad gas at the pump?

-

seabee

Reaction score
We have a Chevron on the corner and over the years every time I get gas from there my car runs poorly and my wife's gets knock. It also lowers the MPG's by 25%ish. It took a year or so to figure out that it was only happening with their gas. Now, I only go there if I'm in a real hurry and low on gas. Yesterday was one of those days.

Anyone else have a certain station or brand that doesn't agree with their car?

Not really, I just noticed the change of season blends, its like the summer blends don't ping as easily but the octane ratings stay the same. I pretty much go were its cheapest, heck the gasoline tankers around here don't even have the brand names on the tanks

Yep. My HEMI Ram has a random stalling problem when I get gas from a gas station thats associated with a big grocery store here in PA. You get "fuel perks" for the gas station when you buy groceries. Thats the only reason why I use it. Unfortunately I don't know who's gas they are selling. It's not Sunoco or BP because the truck runs fine on those brands.

I just tore down my x heads after about 25000 miles I could not belive the deposits on top of the intake valve I asumed the seals or glides where bad but not the case ...the machinist told me it was common and it was just crappy fuel.

I had a bad tank a month or so ago in my Mazdaspeed 3. I always put premium in it too. Thing was down on power and mileage was noticeably below normal. Next fill up from a different station with pump premium was like NIGHT AND DAY. Happens. :dontknow:

Word of advice - if you see a tanker pulling in or out of a gas station DO NOT GET GAS THERE! Pulling in means their tank is low and the sludge will be in your engine. After it gets filled up, the sludge swirls around until it settles back on the bottom.

Every time I fill up, it has a bunch of shitass ethanol in it that screws up everything it touches.

Seebee, you are dealing with "winter blend" of Cali's gasoline. Thanks to Wild n Crazy,you make enough power now to notice.PM him,betchya he has an answer.

There's a station/mini mart around the corner from me that I've had problems with. Can't run any of my yard machines on their gas. Haven't noticed any problems with the daily driver.

i have two truck stops near me, an Exxon and a Pilot

if i get the Pilot gas my car runs like crap. when i get the Exxon gas it's all good.

so obviously there is some difference, but i dont know how to tell which gas stations use good stuff and which do not. like what do i do when i go out of town?

I know if I get the lower octain 87 from around the corner my truck shimmies and shakes go 2 points higher runs fine and gets better milage.

Seebee, you are dealing with "winter blend" of Cali's gasoline. Thanks to Wild n Crazy,you make enough power now to notice.PM him,betchya he has an answer.

Thanks, Definitely noticing it more after the rebuild. But it also makes my wife's Mazda knock and shudder too. And even stranger is that it is only that Chevron station. There's one further down the street that hasn't given any problems. It's almost as if they are diluting their product.

Arco here locally known for that. For besr results go to busy gas stations. Try not to fuel when station tanks are being filled or recently filled 1 hr or so.

I dont understand the higher octane making them run better unless its because the craps just not as stirred up. Octane makes fuel burn slower so it doesnt detonate. Its wasted in a low compression motor.

Yeah I don't know, pump gas just seems all the same to me and my engines. Over the years I noticed it has changed...the old 89 leaded gas did not stink, this no lead gas stinks if you get any on your hands.

The only time I used to notice was way back when we had gasohol but now maybe all the gas around here has alcohol in it ?

I know my 340 needs to crank for 5 to 10 seconds when hot to fire but is got carburetors.

What I do notice is that drive by wire on the newer cars, you squeeze the gas off and on while in park to rev the engine and its got a noticeable delay, the faster your foot goes, the more the delay you can notice. That I wish I could change to cable driven.

-
Back