Anyone have a Dakota with a 4.7??

-
I currently have two 4.7s, one in a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab (150,000 miles) and one in a 1999 Grand Cherokee (180,000+ miles). I am also quite happy with these engines however the Jeep is starting to smoke a bit at startup. Good power for what they are but I am lucky to get 15mpg.

I have a 4.7 in my 2000 Dakota with 149,000. No problems to speak of yet. Runs good with lots of power.

Until recently I had a 2005 Jeep GC Limited with a small lift, bigger tires and the 4.7L. I drove it to Florida and back with a carrier on top and got close to 20mpg. It had plenty of power. Seemed like a very good motor and used little to no oil at 150K miles. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another vehicle with this motor.

i have a 02 ram with the 4.7 . i like it for the most part, plenty of power. pushed my truck through the 1/4 at 16.8 @ 82 mph. all stock with 3.55's. just saying haha. i was a bit dissapointed with the fuel economy though, i get like 12/13 city and maybe like 16 or so highway. that is in a full size though id like to see how much better a dakota would get moving and what kind of mpg's with some fuel eco mods

I had a new 2002 Durango with the 4.7 and as stated before it had plenty of pep and never had a problem with the engine but traded it in with 45,000 miles on it in 2008 because it never got over 13mph in city and 16 mph on highway. But I have a 5.9 in a 2000 ram 1500 that has no power as compared to the 4.7.
Howard

Thanks for all the replys guys, the 3.9 he has in his old truck got terrible mileage also, guess if you own a truck mpg's are what they are, he lives near detroit, works for a US car robotic supplier and was told NOT to buy anything from Japan, or Korea, hehe if you know what I mean... but he liked his old truck so this should be a big step up, except for the mpg's.

I've got a 02 Dakota sport, quad cab 5 on the floor skid plates. Things a beast. Water pumps gone on it. I've read good and bad things about them. But I love mine. Drag logs around like no ones buisness

Yes, good engine lots of power...have 2000 dakota with one...really goes good in a light Dakota....Gas mileage isn't that great though.....about 14-15 ....Also, the peanut butter in the oil fill cap area is a problem with these motors....due to location of the filler on the front of the motor down low (not on the valve covers)the condensation buildup is a noted problem on the internet if you look it up....changing PCV valves does not help....At first you think blown head gasket due to all the peanut butter but its just excessive condensation on these motors....I try to change the oil more often and run it on longer trips to get the motor really good and hot then it goes away.......those short trips make alot of peanut butter......about 140,000 and counting... :)

I had a 03 Ram with a 4.7 and it was a great engine. I started having problems once I reached 150,000 miles. I always had regular maintenance done on the truck but it started with hesitation and misfire. Finally I had to replace the headgasket. Once that was fixed there was no problems. Gas mileage was only 13.9 in town and 18 MPG on the interstate. All in all it sereved me well.

Still running a 4.7L in my '02 Durango. 160,000 on the clock and still ticking (literally!). Have had a "lash adjuster" ticking for the last 40K, but only when cold.
Not too bad an engine, I think a bit under-powered for my liking, plus the gas milage isn't all too good. Been a reliable engine for me.

I have a 2000 Dakota I special ordered with every heavy duty package they offered as well as towing package, extended cab, 4.7, auto, 3.92 gears.

I have 208K on it and counting. It does pretty good towing. I bought a 55 Chevy in Seattle and hauled it home to Mich. Did better crossing the mountains than I thought it would. Got 12 mpg on that trip. I generally get 14-16 mpg most of the time, 14 in winter, higher in warm weather. I have gotten as much as 18 a few times on the road using cruise control and staying around 70 mph.

Overall it's been a good truck, very little trouble with it. Uses very little oil. A little valvetrain clatter when you first start it, then quiet after a minute.
Until I got retired at the end of 2008 I was putting 350 miles a week on it going to work, mostly on the e-way which helps out longevity. The original muffler and tailpipe lasted 198K. I'm only putting about 5K a year on it now. Very little rust either. I hope it lasts a long time, there's nothing new out there right now that I like that much, especially for what they cost.

i have an 03 dakota with the 4.7L Its a decent engine but i am not a fan of it. I would rather have the old 318

The 3.9l is horrible on fuel compared to the 4.7. They avereage about the same in mpg but with the 4.7 there is more pep and can haul more.

The 4.7 has alot of engine sludge problems and the famous lash adjuster issue and exhaust manifold sealing problems.

-
Back