Anyone have an opinion on this Duster?

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=280209194450&rd=1

I've been watching a lot of Dusters on ebay to see what they're fetching, since I'm thinking of selling mine, and wonder what you folks think of this one? The fender tag is definitely 1970, but the striping is 1971, and I don't think they made the sharks tooth grill in 1970 either, did they ?? I had an identical '71 Duster a long time ago, but it had white striping and a 4-speed, with that funky checkered cloth interior..

Kenny

A lot of people swap the grilles into 70s, and add the 71 stripes. I've known people who have done both, and I probably would, myself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=280209194450&rd=1

I've been watching a lot of Dusters on ebay to see what they're fetching, since I'm thinking of selling mine, and wonder what you folks think of this one? The fender tag is definitely 1970, but the striping is 1971, and I don't think they made the sharks tooth grill in 1970 either, did they ?? I had an identical '71 Duster a long time ago, but it had white striping and a 4-speed, with that funky checkered cloth interior..

Kenny

No sharktooth in 70. 71 and 72 only in 340 and Twisters

Hate the Chevy engine compartment treatment.

Looks like a nice car on the surface.

I missed out on the one car I had been looking for, for years because the owner was to f'ing lazy to check if it was matching numbers. Plum, 4 speed, 3.91, black stripe car. I probably wouldn't have all my other junk if I had gotten that one. Yes it was a numbers car. I was pissed and still am to this day and that was 2-3 years ago.

Sorry for the rant! 8)

A body market is strong. especially # match hi-po models. I should say market is strong except if you sell on here! :-D All the E bods and B bods have been gobbled up, cloned or parted. That leaves the A bodies next in line. All the parts vendors I deal with all tell me the A bod stuff if flying off the shelves. NO shark tooth grille in '70, that was option starting '71. I dont know why so many guys opt for the '71 stripe kit. Bold graphics? Even the '70 grille done in "sinister" dark argent for the 340 cars was tuff looking.

Thanks, I thought the shark tooth grill came out in '71, but wasn't positive. I'm not crazy about the '71 stripes. My '70 came w/ stripe delete and a black moulding down the side. I haven't seen too many of them, but it looked cool when I got it.

If you deduct the cost of parts and labor to fix the boo boos, this car would be a lot lower in price than it is. Needs a new dash pad, carpet wasn't stock. Needs the engine bay and the underside of the car painted to match (must have been owned by a Chebbie guy). While you're there fix the rust in the rocker panel on the driver's side. Needs inspection covers over the flywheel. Needs the exhaust ran to the rear with tips. Needs a proper spare. Needs a different steering wheel. The air cleaner and valve covers are wrong. The grille and striping is wrong.The real one that's hard to find is the front marker lights. Wonder where they wound up? There are too many wires hanging down under the dash. Factor in electronic ignition and disc brakes as desirable add ons. IMO none of this should be apparent on a car selling for this price. Knock about 5 grand off and it would be about right. Hey, you asked for opinions.

If you deduct the cost of parts and labor to fix the boo boos, this car would be a lot lower in price than it is. Needs a new dash pad, carpet wasn't stock. Needs the engine bay and the underside of the car painted to match (must have been owned by a Chebbie guy). While you're there fix the rust in the rocker panel on the driver's side. Needs inspection covers over the flywheel. Needs the exhaust ran to the rear with tips. Needs a proper spare. Needs a different steering wheel. The air cleaner and valve covers are wrong. The grille and striping is wrong.The real one that's hard to find is the front marker lights. Wonder where they wound up? There are too many wires hanging down under the dash. Factor in electronic ignition and disc brakes as desirable add ons. IMO none of this should be apparent on a car selling for this price. Knock about 5 grand off and it would be about right. Hey, you asked for opinions.

I'm definitely WITH ya ... That's kind of where I was going with this. I think it's high money, all things considered. Then again, look what THIS one brought. This one really amazed me..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=290209198099&rd=1

That one happens to be Panther Pink and people pay STUPID money for the cars, especially 340/4 speed cars.
I just wanted to comment on the A body trends for # match hi-po cars.
I have interest for sure in the market trends since I own this restored Top Banana '70 pictured in the avitar. I contacted with a guy who SOLD a super low miles, Panther Pink '70 Duster 340 car last autumn for just under $55,000. He doesnt use Ebay-never heard of abodyonlydotcom-or craigs lis and he has no use for Barrett-Jackson. He put an add in paper for "best offer". A parts guy I use from Minnesota gave me his contact info. Maybee he got lucky? I just saw another FM3 car with higher mileage I think it was on carsonline??. Its priced over $50K...I cannot remember the exact list price. Just think, this is in a terrible economy. Something funny to consider, stupid money is paying over $100K for any E body. Especially six figures for clones! I make it a point to follow up on as many premium '70-'71 340 Dusters & '71-'72 Demon 340 I see advertised. Its not uncommon to sell a real nice restored or low miles survivor for over 30K. Just heard about a Plum '71 Demon 340 sold for 41K. Tell ya what, it will be in the very near future for any # match 340 A body '68-'72 you wont have the luxury of bickering about minor cosmetics-cracks in dash pads-a missing center cap or wrong manifolds for a car under 20 grand.

That's good. I have a field full of em waiting to be recips for a BB. I do have a #s matching 72 triple black Duster with a pumped up 318, 8.75, 904 auto VERY nice 67000 mile car that i would part with for oh.. $18000. PM me if you want pics. Total restore. In West Plains,Mo.

I'm not lookin' any more, found the one I was searching for last Feb. and pounced. Late last summer I was offered "R-U-kidding me" kinds of money for my car. More than double what I payed. I barely started to enjoy my ride and wasnt about to bail just for cash. I know I couldnt find a '70 A body 340 car in showroom cond. for that kind of money again.

Weird Things Happen, I Got A 72 Demon Parts Car That Actually Had 70 Parts On It, I Found Out The Hard Way When Trying To Change Flat Tires,the Car Was Built With Both Lh And Rh Threaded Wheel Studs, Snapped Of Two Before I Figured It Out.
Larry

-
Back