Anyone have any experience with changing cams in crate?

-

71dusterdude

Reaction score
Hello, newbie here, been doin some research on my motor...finally with some great help on here, I found out what I actually have. Wondering if anyone with a 380 / 360 has experimented with any cam changes on these and if theres any performance gains. Thank you in advance

They are set up really good by mopar but are on the conservative with the compression.
I would pull the heads and mill them to up the compression and use a thin head gasket.
Bowl port the heads and gasket match the intake and header gaskets;
If you want more then this i would run a higher ratio rocker arm for more lift.
Checking the valve to piston clearance should be done with any of these modifications.
The cams a little big but just bring the rest of the engine in line to it,most importantly the converter and gears.

In fact the most important thing is the converter and gears with the tire size being the determining factor.
That engine is fine the way it is and will provide great performance if the rest of the car is complimenting the cams dynamics.

Changing the cam is only a good idea if your looking to DE-TUNE the engine.

I would take it out of the crate first!

seriously a cam is part of a package and must be matched to the intake, carb, comp ratio, trans, rear axle ratio, vehicle weight, and most important intended use, without all these factors taken into consideration randomly changing the cam will probably do more harm than good,

Thanks guys.....not goin to pull the motor...maybe i didnt write my post well enough, ...I just bought the car...paid alot a cash for it....its super show car nice. It is a 4 speed car with 391 gears. It runs alright....im honestly just looking for a simple cam change, not really getting into dumping alot more money in the car. Just wondering if its possible to improve this combo with cam swap only. Thanks again

ya know....its a driver...dont race it.....it starts, goes, ect....doesnt really have any problems per say.......maybe could you a lil timing gun on it....does have a lil dieseling goin on some times after shut off....thought maybe its the shitty gas we have, a lil race fuel seems to help it...really havent owned it long, but might throw a gun on it and see....any suggestions on a initial and total? for that set up

ya know....its a driver...dont race it.....it starts, goes, ect....doesnt really have any problems per say.......maybe could you a lil timing gun on it....does have a lil dieseling goin on some times after shut off....thought maybe its the shitty gas we have, a lil race fuel seems to help it...really havent owned it long, but might throw a gun on it and see....any suggestions on a initial and total? for that set up

ok so its a driver/street car and not a track car, you don't know if its tuned properly because you haven't owned it long enough but you already want to throw a cam in it because you think thats a problem. do yourself a favor and take the car to someone that knows what they are doing under the hood and let them tune it properly. before spending money on cams and crap like that.

whoa there bud....slow down...im just doing some research, just to see if anyone has any experience. Possibly wanting a lil more outta her....maybe its fine, maybe a lil tune with perk it up...maybe. Still in storage so I cant do anything right now....just digging around is all....thanks for the input.

a good proper tune can make a world of difference, often way more than a cam swap, may even feel like a new car,

I agree man and as soon as its out....I will throw the light on it and check it out....like I stated just testing the waters to see whats out there. I not sure if i mentioned it or not, but I had read on a mopar muscle article where a respected mopar engine builder had done this and got some pretty good results...but like i have been cautioned on here, dont believe everything you read or the dyno deal....a site like this, you can get real world numbers and experience and thats exactly why I joined...awsome site guys!....thanks....and if anyone else has any other opinions Id love to hear them.

I think the 380hp has the MP 292 (the newer better idling one). You can do better than that with something else. But you get into the need to change other parts like valve springs and/or pushrods and rockers. So if it's new to you, get it well tuned by someone that knows Mopars (Google Bob George Racing in OH for a guy who's pretty good to deal with) and see how it goes for you. If once you're as good as it can get, then you can upgrade, just underrstand it might not be "just a cam swap". The 380s no slouch so to take it further requires a little more work.

You can make more horse power with any motor with a cam change BUT the cars other parts say where the power band should be-- ok.

This means that if you want to make even more power then before the correct combination of other parts becomes even more critical then when the engine made even less power

You need to list your other parts.

1)Carb

2)Converter stall speed

3)Transmission=4 speed

4)Gear=3.91

5)Vehicles weight

6)Grade of gas you want to run

7)Distributor

Just my 2 cents....:director: If that engine is tuned wrong or is not given the correct other parts to run right, it could be a complete dog.

Let me put that another way.

If you don't have the right combination................
It's kind of like having a huge monster dog for home protection but since he is always left in the cage and never let out to prowl, the big dog can only bark and never bite.

great points t67.......ive mentioned i have the 391's..4speed..this is my first duster, so weight?....I know its alot lighter than my ebody..just by pushing it around....lol...its a full street car so lets say 3400lbs?.....carb I believe the gentleman that sold it to me said demon 750, .....like to run on pump gas, dizzy is what i believe came with the crate...which many guys had nothing good to say about them for whatever reason...told me to throw it away!,...get a mallory or msd. First Ive heard about that one?....Im using a mopar dizzy in my big block...I did send it to don at fbo to go over it..and so far its been excellent....again, when i get the car out...I'll get more specifics, timing, dizzy ect.....thanks again for the input guys I do appreciate the advice!

I would leave the cam alone, IMO

You can get faster ramp cams but those cams don't last as long and need to be broken in right--first crank the engine fires up and holds 2,500 rpm for 20 mins without over heating while using top notch breakin oil.

For a newbie leave mopar everyday people cam in it. With 3.91 gears and lightweight car, the motor will be one happy camper

great points t67.......ive mentioned i have the 391's..4speed..this is my first duster, so weight?....I know its alot lighter than my ebody..just by pushing it around....lol...its a full street car so lets say 3400lbs?.....carb I believe the gentleman that sold it to me said demon 750, .....like to run on pump gas, dizzy is what i believe came with the crate...which many guys had nothing good to say about them for whatever reason...told me to throw it away!,...get a mallory or msd. First Ive heard about that one?....Im using a mopar dizzy in my big block...I did send it to don at fbo to go over it..and so far its been excellent....again, when i get the car out...I'll get more specifics, timing, dizzy ect.....thanks again for the input guys I do appreciate the advice!
Sounds like a cool car.
Now, don't take this the wrong way, I'm trying to help!!
-I know what carb any car I buy has on it. If you don't, that's cool. Not everyone is a motor head. But, before you post saying that you don't know, find out first!!!
BTW, I agree that it should be driven, tuned, and driven some more before a cam swap is considered. A car loses driveability with more cam, generally. You may like what you have.

lol......man some of you guys on here are critical...its all in fun...honestly Im a self employed person that has alot goin on...this is a toy...I bought it cause it was clean, and what I thought was cheap. Because of this I do not know everything about this car. My other car well, I did everything else but the paint, and machine work...so I am a motorhead....took 8 years to put together, I know every detail of the engine,cam specs, jetting ect...lol..and did have some really good friends along side of me to help,..Id say Im a 5 to a 7 on a ten scale of ability, and again depends on who you ask...lol...bought this car at the tail end of summer and just havent had a chance to learn it basically....driven probably 500 miles..if that..just fishing around to see if anyone has changed the package on these 380 crates. I will get more details about the carb. I am in the mist of building a garage as well right now so as I can have my cars at my home instead of miles away where as I cannot get to them easily....simply its a pain in the azz...;)........thanks again for the advice guys

Yup.. You need to do some detective work and play a little. A "5-7" should be able to get the 380hp from it...lol.

My question to the original poster is what is it about the current cam you dont like ? Idle quality ? low end power ? high end power ?

Thanks Adam. I thought the earlier LA versions had the 292 but that was off memory?

I run a 360/380 using a holley 750 with proform main body, MSD everything, TTi exhaust and the same gear ratio as you. It makes my 3000# Valiant run like a scalded cat. Give it a good tune and go have fun!

Thanks Adam. I thought the earlier LA versions had the 292 but that was off memory?

The old 360 commando crates had the 284 stick in them, The LA crate short blocks had the 292 on a 108lsa. I dont believe there were any LA crate motors other then the short blocks once the Magnum crates came out.

Is this the cam spec on the crate 380 may I ask? thats not what ive been told....curious.......well as far as performance...it honestly doesnt pull as well as i though a fairly light car with 400hp should. Idle is fine...drivability is good.....my buddy has a shivvy lightly modded 350..nothing fancy, auto car with a gearsvendor set up and that thing runs and revs like crazy...and again it aint nothing big dollar and its not a stroker....plus its a heavy car Im sure., (camaro).....thats what i compared the duster too when i first brought it home......cant be having no shivvy running better than my mope..lol......I know I know...havent runem...or taking it to the track.....I know his then ran low 13's, he might of touched the 12's not sure....but he since has got another motor in the car that in the low 12's.

I run a 360/380 using a holley 750 with proform main body, MSD everything, TTi exhaust and the same gear ratio as you. It makes my 3000# Valiant run like a scalded cat. Give it a good tune and go have fun!
Thanks!!

-
Back