Anyone have any experience with Maxxis tires?

-

YellowDart69

Reaction score
In my quest for 7/8" wide whitewalls, I have found the Taiwanese Maxxis makes a 205/70R14.I don't want imported tires, but they seem to be the only ones available. Has anyone else tried them?

I ran many sets of Maxxis tires on my duel sport bike, they wore kinda fast but they were sticky on pavement.

Many months ago, I ask a question on this forum about getting a thin, white-wall stripe for a 14" tire. I wanted my 67 Barracuda to look original. I could only find bias tires that had the stripe. However, many forum members said bias tires aren't very good, and I should get radials.

I listened and eventually found the Maxxis radial tires. So I bought 5. They are P195/75R14. I wanted to go with more width (like a 205), but even my 195's said the minimum wheel width was 5". My wheels have a 4.5" width.

Anyway, they look fine, fit fine, but I've had other problems so I haven't driven the car much at all. So I can't tell you how they perform. The sales guy was able to ship the tires out of a western warehouse, so shipping costs were vastly reduced.

Thanks, G413. You were probably the one that wanted to know the WW width,and I replied 7/8". The only other tire available seems to be the Goodyear PowerCushion, at 6.95 x 14, but I don't want a Bias Ply tire, even if that was what came on the car. One question - is the whitewall recessed in the black sidewall?

Great tires so far... I put a set on my 87 Shelby turbo Charger. 205/60/15 (stock size)
Popular in Australia ETC, from what I could see. I also saw them at SEMA at their display.
Google is your friend, poke around for some ratings ETC.

On my original post I asked if the original WW width was 5/8" or 7/8" because I wanted it to look original. I'd seen some info both ways. The consensus was that it was probably 7/8". The actual WW width of the Maxxis tires is 3/4" -- they split the difference. Anyway, that's close enough.

The whitewall actually sticks out about 1/32". It is not recessed.

I ran many sets of Maxxis tires on my duel sport bike, they wore kinda fast but they were sticky on pavement.

Same here, also never used them on a car but I would blow one away every riding season on my Honda XR because of the softness of the rubber.

Don't know if that applies to the car tires though.

On my original post I asked if the original WW width was 5/8" or 7/8" because I wanted it to look original. I'd seen some info both ways. The consensus was that it was probably 7/8". The actual WW width of the Maxxis tires is 3/4" -- they split the difference. Anyway, that's close enough.

The whitewall actually sticks out about 1/32". It is not recessed.

Thanks again. The originals were 7/8" The Maxxis is advertised as .80" I guess I will give them a try, if I can get them in Canada.

I had a set of maxxis on my Stratus RT and after only 2 years they were cracking in the sidewall and by the end of the third year they were bubbling so I hucked them in the trash. They did wear fast In that time though. About 50% tread left. Well atleast they seemed to wear fast to me compared to other car tires I've had. I've heard good and bad things about maxxis, but I'm gonna buy something else. Just my opinion.

I had Hancook Optima's (I think that's what they're called) on my Dart and they ran and handled well. I even took them up to some mountain roads and they weren't too shabby.

Although, I drove with a 205/75/14 and had no rubbing.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hkt-10982/overview/

Attachments

• 20140307_154958.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 153
  • 20140307_154056.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 113
Yup, Hankook Optimo H724's 14" white walls and cheap, Walmart special order in 2 days. about $53/pc IIRC. AND if you weant a wider whitewall, you can take a wheel buffer (gnarly 10 grit die griner bob) and grind off the 1/32" thick blackwall between the whitewall and the tire bead. Looks ghetto and is messy as hell but itll give you about 1.5" of white wall.

-
Back