anyone hear of a h-p big block sawtooth 318?

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
was looking on local craigslist and found this ad...

We're selling Grandpa's 30 ft. Classic 1968 Dodge fiberglass motor home (rounded aero-dynamic body) with approximately 100,000 actual miles. It is mounted on what appears to be a one-ton Dodge chasis with a unique high performance saw tooth 318 big block engine and automatic transmission.
asking price 1000 bucks. just wandering what this engine may be or is it even a real thing. thanks

Poly 318, NO doubt!
Heavy early SMALL BLOCK.
Never was a Big Block 318. Some Chebbie guys think so!

well, as some on here say, the 318 la engine is a boat anchor. if that is the case, then the poly has to be a yaht anchor !!!!!!!!!!lololololololol

Poly 318, NO doubt!
Heavy early SMALL BLOCK.
Never was a Big Block 318. Some Chebbie guys think so!

I agree, sounds like a Poly.
Since the 318 Poly was essentially the same block as a 392 Hemi, I would call it a big block too. It is certainly bigger than a LA 318. Quite possibly I have just proved that , I don't have to be a Chebbie guy to be an idiot:sad5:
Someone help us out here?

It is certainly bigger than a LA 318. ?

Actually it is NO larger than an LA engine, and in fact if you tear them down and remove the pistons (Polys don't use flatop pistons) you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. In fact, late heads nearly fit. Many parts including the timing cover (I believe) and pan will fit.

Polys are similar to a hybrid of the first gen hemi and the ''LA'' small blocks.
A lot of parts interchange, timing sets, distributors, and many more.

They weren't a big performer but lot's of torque and very tough.

Since it is a 68 model motorhome 318. It is probably a 318-3 which is little different than a regular car 318. They used the larger ford style spark plugs and a few other differences.

The 318-3's were LA's weren't they? I have a pair of those big plug heads.

I thought polys phased out the 66 model year. Cant imagine a 30 footer with a 318.

Actually it is NO larger than an LA engine, and in fact if you tear them down and remove the pistons (Polys don't use flatop pistons) you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. In fact, late heads nearly fit. Many parts including the timing cover (I believe) and pan will fit.
The dead giveaway on the difference in the blocks is the poly 318 doesn't have front and rear freeze plugs. Otherwise the dimensions are the same as an LA block. Same block as a 392 hemi?? Please...... The poly 318 was fazed out in early '67 in cars and pickups but in motorhomes.....who knows. The drivetrains were determined by what the coach maker wanted and what was still in stock at Dodge. They went to the 318-3 after that. Not sure it was an improvement actually. The 318-3's had their problems and many parts don't interchange with 318-1's....like those heads. Unless you use the intake and water pump, they won't fit an LA motor.

The dead giveaway on the difference in the blocks is the poly 318 doesn't have front and rear freeze plugs. Otherwise the dimensions are the same as an LA block. Same block as a 392 hemi?? Please...... The poly 318 was fazed out in early '67 in cars and pickups but in motorhomes.....who knows. The drivetrains were determined by what the coach maker wanted and what was still in stock at Dodge. They went to the 318-3 after that. Not sure it was an improvement actually. The 318-3's had their problems and many parts don't interchange with 318-1's....like those heads. Unless you use the intake and water pump, they won't fit an LA motor.
My bad. It was the 354 style block that used both poly and hemi style heads.

Have heard it also referred to as "old style 318".
same term-of-endearment has been applied to the LA 318 as well :sad11: , especially since there are no less than ~3 different series here :
- Polysphere
- Lightened A-motor
- Magnum

I believe that the 318-3 ( marine & industrial ) has a forged steel crank , but then again so do the 273's .
Definitely not worth that thousand ... unless maybe the motor needs zero internal work !

I agree, sounds like a Poly.
Since the 318 Poly was essentially the same block as a 392 Hemi, I would call it a big block too. It is certainly bigger than a LA 318. Quite possibly I have just proved that , I don't have to be a Chebbie guy to be an idiot:sad5:
Someone help us out here?

No no no, the frezze out plug mention is the "BIG IT" on the poly 318.

(Polys don't use flatop pistons) you would be hard pressed to tell the difference. In fact, late heads nearly fit. Many parts including the timing cover (I believe) and pan will fit.

IF I could only download my camera pictures of the poly I just got, I'd show ya flat top slugs.

IF I could only download my camera pictures of the poly I just got, I'd show ya flat top slugs.

Poor choice 'o words on my part. I believe they all have valve reliefs, eh?

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/poly318.html

polytunnelram2.jpg

attachment.php

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/a-engines.html

valves.gif

-
Back