anyone help me on a piece of elec problem?

-

christineman

Reaction score
hey guys,,, need little piece of advice from the eiec dept... i dropped a 440 in a street rod and tried to start it today,, it turns good but wont start until I let go of the ign switch.. then it fires up,,if i hold ithe switch in the start position, it wont start, if I direct 12v to the resister, she fires right up,,, sounds like I need 12v runing someplace while the engine is turning over;;; can anyone shed some light for me..... thanks in advance...

christineman

What are "we" working on?

Usually the coil is fed battery voltage while cranking thru the ignition switch. (Ign. #2), then when you let off the key it goes to ign. #1 position feeding the ballast resistor which in turn feeds the coil a lower voltage.

Xact'ly What are you using for an igniton switch? Mopar switches have the resistor bypass for start built into the factory switch, whereas Ford, AMC and GM all use a second terminal on the starter solenoid.

So what are you using for an ignition switch?

More information is better. We could get out the "information crowbar." I used to use this a lot when I sold auto parts. "They're all the same."

the switch Im useing is a 58 plymouth switch,, I believe there is a ign1 and 2.. so where should 1 and 2 go to???

I'm no electrical expert but if I remember right the following is what seems to be happening.

Sounds like your resistor is being fed from the accessory side of the ignition switch. There should be a ignition outlet on the back of the ignition switch. It will have power both when cranking and with the switch in the on position.

The accessory side of the switch has no power during cranking. It only gets power after releasing the key and being in the on position or the accessory position then it gets voltage.

-
Back