Anyone into firearms?

-
Looking to buy a mechanical cycling setup for my AR. I love shooting it, but cleaning it is a ***** after running a bunch of rounds thru it. I read somewhere that somebody makes a setup eliminating the gas cycling setup in the AR making it stay much cleaner inside.

Savage 110BA in 338 Lapua Magnum , you can run but you'll just die tired . Toying with the idea of adding a 50 BMG to the safe but there's only one semi auto allowed in Canada and it's 5k + and it's not a Barrett but the ammo is cheaper and easier to find than the 338LM . Not really into pistols , most people don't mess with you when your 6'2" 240 so the only ones who are going to come for me are going to be wearing Kevlar . looking at a 410 as well just to play with at the range .

Looking to buy a mechanical cycling setup for my AR. I love shooting it, but cleaning it is a ***** after running a bunch of rounds thru it. I read somewhere that somebody makes a setup eliminating the gas cycling setup in the AR making it stay much cleaner inside.

What ammo are you using?

its called piston operated instead of gas operated. If cleaning an AR is a ***** than you need to look into a new weapon as an AR is the easiest gun to tear down and clean other than a 1911.

I learned how to clean a weapon in the corps, spit shine. I think I have the cleanest weapons of all my peers.lol the 1911 ain't that bad.

Yep I guess they are watching and listening so yesterday I went Ice fishing and my damn gun safe was in my truck and I broke thru the ice and lost them all,Now I have NO gun's anymore Darn It!!!!!!!

I was messin' around last night and if what I found is true, the only firearms training Navy sailors get nowadays is for sidearm. I believe this is a HUGE mistake. I think every military man......or woman......... should get some basic training with at least one shoulder fired arm.

Pretty much true. Did get to shoot an M16 looking thing in boot camp but it did not fire bullets. Some kind of laser thing. You could not see the laser either. :wack: Guy said your missing and all I could say was how can you tell? It was a joke.

So actually sailors get zero gun training. To tell you the truth I did not need a gun to fix a helicopter.

LOL one thing I learned in boot camp is that nobody above you (and that's pretty much everybody) has a sense of humor.

What ammo are you using?

its called piston operated instead of gas operated. If cleaning an AR is a ***** than you need to look into a new weapon as an AR is the easiest gun to tear down and clean other than a 1911.

When you have a fun day shooting about 200 rounds it gets quite dirty in there. I have no problem dissassembling and cleaning my AR, but the piston operated setup is aimilar to an AK , and those stay fairly clean inside because they arent gas cycled.

Just looking at further improving an already great firearm. Break free is what i use on the carbon deposits. Seems to work pretty well

I have a couple of AR's with gas piston setups. The setup I used is a TWN conversion. I originally bought the conversion to put on a couple of uppers I was building in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 because the ammo you get in those calibers is usually not that great. AR's don't like steel case ammo and the polymer coated crap will flat ruin your bolt carrier group. The coating melts from the heat and binds to everything. The gas piston redirects the gas so the BCG don't get as hot.

When you have a fun day shooting about 200 rounds it gets quite dirty in there. I have no problem dissassembling and cleaning my AR, but the piston operated setup is aimilar to an AK , and those stay fairly clean inside because they arent gas cycled.

Just looking at further improving an already great firearm. Break free is what i use on the carbon deposits. Seems to work pretty well

200 rounds with fed and its dirty? I used to clean my guns all the time before the accident but I could shoot 1000 rounds of fed .225 or the 556 and it would barely be dirty... It sounds like your rifle is overgassed, meaning the port in the gas block is to big. I bet yours shoots at about 1-3 O' Clock?

where does it shoot?

AR_Ejection.jpg

I have a couple of AR's with gas piston setups. The setup I used is a TWN conversion. I originally bought the conversion to put on a couple of uppers I was building in 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 because the ammo you get in those calibers is usually not that great. AR's don't like steel case ammo and the polymer coated crap will flat ruin your bolt carrier group. The coating melts from the heat and binds to everything. The gas piston redirects the gas so the BCG don't get as hot.

exactly :cheers:

-
Back