Anyone know anything about window cranks ?

-

pearljam724

Reaction score
I have a 76 - 2 door Dart that is mint condition. The driver side window works. But, has a few small problems. When you wind it up or down the window doesn’t move with your hand cranking speed. The handle sometimes slips and the window is about a half inch from completely rolling to the top. I’m sure it’s regulator related. I’m also sure there’s an adjustment on the regulator that can adjust the window being slightly short of completely rolling up. Does anyone have any literature, a link, video, etc that will help me address this ? And what causes the crank handle to slip at times ? I know this is a very common issue on a lot of old cars. Thank you

So are you saying:

1. the handle is slipping on the crank?
  2. The crank input shaft is slipping on the regulator lift arm gear?

As for up stop and down stop the factory service manual (available free on mymopar.com ) shows locations and adjustment procedures

Teeth on the main regulator arm are wore off in that one area.

I have welded the missing teeth back in place with a wire feed welder. Then using a Template made from the remaining good teeth on the gear arc, grind and fit the repaired teeth to match the original pattern.

20230617_160629.jpg

Same as welding, grinding fitting back in missing teeth on a flywheel or torque converter ring gear.

Yes it works. Your level of skill has a lot to do with the success of the repairs.

☆☆☆☆☆

I’m no mechanical slouch. But, I’m also not much of a welder. How difficult is it to find a new and replace the regulator ?

I agree with the replies above, but have you removed the door panel to actually see what's going on? That would be my first step.

Could be bad teeth on the regulator or bad splines on the shaft for the crank. Either way, a replacement regulator may be best way to go.

-
Back