anyone know how many 1971 Twisters were produced?

-

jimmer

Reaction score
I was curious if anyone has an idea how many 1971 Duster Twisters were produced ? I had a 1971 ( still in my garage traded my brother for a 168 Dart post race car ) The Twister is original paint ev2 318 bench seat automatic still has the sticker on the back bought new in Twin Falls Idaho. I was the 3rd owner brother who has it now owned it before.
I cant sem to find any info on them ?

Not a huge help but here are some numbers to start:

1971 Duster
Fastback Coupe: 173,592
340 Fastback Coupe: 12,886
Total 1971 Dusters: 186,478

Thanks for trying sport 360 . I can find normal production numbers just not Twister ones ?

only thing i could find said ruffly 40% of the non 340 cars were ordered with the twister package in 1971 so using the non 340 number that comes out to about 69436 cars but they could pick only certain options in the package if they wanted so idk how many used the full twister package

no that is wrong 40 % twisters not even or you would see more they had sharktooth grills. Sorry but I do not believe that info is corect. But thanks for tryin !!

lol i know that it said came with twister options that could mean they only opted for the hood or the wing or the grill any of that idk which site it was i had like 40 tabs open trying to find this rofl

yes 1971 and 1972 only Years for the Twister option and all had the Shark Tooth Grille. They are rare I just don't know exactly how rare ? I have been told there were not as many Twisters as 340 cars , I believe this to be true due to the fact I have been at this a long time and have not seen too many Twisters.

There is a pic of mine in my profile (well it was mine traded to Bro ) Original Hemi Orange paint still on car !

but you could order the twister option until the end of 74 although the 73 and 74 twister was much different

I have a 1971 twister duster. Ga4 gray with black stripes. Twisters are identified by a51 on the fender tag. Twisters were made in '72 as well. I heard some were made in 1973 as well. 1971 twisters were the only twisters made with the sharktooth grille. The raylles that you got didn't come with trim rings.

Two engines were available. The /6 and 318. A bit of the 318 cars were 3 speed manual. Heard that a few slipped out with the 340.
Another cool feature was many of them had the salt and pepper seat inserts.

There are no known production numbers for twisters. In the 15 years that I have owned mine, I have seen 3 of them.

o and you probably already know the code was a51 sorry must have posted at the same time rofl the 72 package also had a sharktooth grill option

i know it wasnt stock twister package but my dads was ordered with one when he bought it he has pics somewhere

We have a 71 duster ev2, white top, 3 spd manual, orange/white/black plaid interior, sharkstooth grille. Pretty neat looking combo, but rough. :( Thinking it is a Twister due to the sharkstooth grille option? Guess I need to look at the option tag tomorrow when I go out there.

Mins has custom 15x7 ralleys on the back and the seats were orange and black inserts.

I know of two f them one is Brown 318 auto and I think it was maybe for sale ? Beeen many years. The other one is ev2 3 speed buckets really ruff sad story rotting away !!!

Does any person on here actually , have an H code duster , with the A51 code on the tag .I would like to see one , the car and a pic of the tag also . I remember reading a magazine , cannot remember when, i read alot , it said that no Twister cars ever got the 340 performance engine , and that the package was just made to look like the 340 cars .I know i never seen one.

there are no 340 powered twisters. The whole idea of the twister was to offer a car that had the looks of a high performance 340 duster, but keep the rising insurance ( at that time) cost down for young buyers. the demon sizzler was a simular type package for the dodge brand. In other words....performance car looks without the performance. I don't belive that many were produced, as even when they were new, you did not see many of them. I do know where there is a curious yellow one just sitting, behind a house. I have a friend who owns a black one as well.

I owned a 72 340 4 speed twister. I bought the car in december of 73 from the salavage as the insurance deamed it a total loss. It was very repairable with only sheet metal damage and no frame damage. (it had been a roll over) Drove it for 6 years, great car. It only had 3000 miles on it when I bought it and it came with the sharktooth grill and both the 340 & twister call outs on the 1/4's. I have never seen another. I wish I still owned it as I was told it was a very rare car. I was told there were a few made but were usually ordered with those options.

I will take a pic of the fender tag on my old 71 as it is in my garage still.

Nice string happening here on the possibility of 340 Duster Twister made - I'm attaching an article from Mopar Muscle Mag that says there were some made for the Canadian market, so, Gunmetal72, you certainly may have had one. Do you remember if there was a dealer emblem on it? And where was the salvage yard you got it from - Calgary?

I've been hunting for the Canadian '71 and '72 Swinger 340 Specials for a number of years and they're rare as hens teeth, and I can guarantee that these would be even rarer (if that's a word).

View attachment MM_scarce_mopar_pg.jpg

-
Back