Anyone know how to remove the auto column shift lever?

-

Corrupt_Reverend

Reaction score
This has been bugging me ever since I did a manual valve body conversion and installed a Hurst ProMatic shifter.

I tried driving out the roll pin at the lever pivot, but was worried about breaking something else by hammering too hard.

Anybody know how to remove it?

('72 dart custom sedan)

Just as you were attempting to do; drive the pin out.

It might not be a bad idea if you removed the mechanism that locks the column as well if you ever plan to take it down the track. However, you have to remove the steering wheel to get that mechanism out. Somewhere on here is a thread about tearing apart a column that has really good pictures of the mechanism I'm talking about, but I can't find it now.

The roll pin is the way to remover the column shifter they are usually easy to drive out
but you need something to back it with like a dolly block or a second hammer. Get a helping hand to hold the backer behind and just to the side of the pin to make it solid and hammer it out with a roll pin punch from the opposite side

After I drove the pin out, I found it was a total b**** to get back in. I finally gave up and sawed off a framing nail to length and dropped it in -- the head keeps it from falling through. Kind of a redneck fix that has lasted for probably 20 years...

-
Back