anyone know how to tell if 4 speed is overdrive

-

aarong5

Aaron Grimes
Reaction score
the date on it is 5020.... can anyone decode the numbers above that 5b251899
I am trying to sell it along with an 8 3/4 rear and need to know if its overdrive....(I've never messed with transmissions before) not that it matters but a local guy told me it wasn't an overdrive but I don't know what he really knows

Got a picture? What style trans? Big or small block, A B C E or F-body? most overdrive's had aluminum cases....it its NOT an overdrive, its actually worth more money....

One easy way is simply figure out the ratio If the levers are correct, the front shift lever should be pointing DOWN instead of up. That is not always definitive. With the gearbox in neutral, move the front shifter CW, which puts the gearbox into 3rd gear (overdrive if it's an OD box) Rotate the input shaft one revolution, and see if the output turns more or less than one turn. LESS than one turn is a standard 4 speed, MORE than one turn is an OD box.

supposedly small block a body, it came extra with a 3 speed demon I got. but someone told me its a PAIN to change from 3 speed to 4.... it says a body someone wrote on with a sharpie but I only know what I've been told

supposedly small block a body, it came extra with a 3 speed demon I got. but someone told me its a PAIN to change from 3 speed to 4.... it says a body someone wrote on with a sharpie but I only know what I've been told

That is actually a SIMPLE swap.....is somebody trying to screw you out of a good 4-speed trans by getting you to sell it cheap?

possibly, all I have is the trans, they said I'd need new linkages and things for the shifters and stuff....what all is required to swap from 3 to 4

possibly, all I have is the trans, they said I'd need new linkages and things for the shifters and stuff....what all is required to swap from 3 to 4
Shifter, shift rods and trans assuming you already have the floor hump in place.

-
Back