Anyone know this? 5.7 into a 81 truck

-

4dr4ever

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone around here would know what I need to do to put my 2008 5.7 hemi into my 1981 dodge crew cab? Referring to mounts. I'm pretty much completely researched out on everything else lol.

Also does anyone know how to make the NAG1 work? Cuda-Challenger has a guy who got one to work but He hasn't posted in a while now I've tried a couple different methods of contact and can't find the guy. a PCS controller seems to be the best candidate as they have a military application for the direct sibling of the NAG1.

you may be able to use the tt1 spool mounts or the mounts made by tinman in the pictures below. otherwise you'll have to fabricate your own. also you will probably need to use the rear out of the 08. i read somewhere the axles have speed sensors needed to comunicate with the nag1 a member "HEMIDAK" has done a few truck swaps and is very knowledgeable with the wiring conversion aswell. so look him up. below are a few of his builds. there you will find pinouts for the wiring. and he is always willing and able to help answer questions

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-dakota/229756-dakota-hemi-swap-with-pics.html
and
http://www.customdakotas.com/forums/v8-performance/13977-dakota-hemi-swap-done-heres-how.html

Unless TTI or Street and Performance has mounts for that application, you're pretty much on your on to make some. As far as putting a NAG1 in a truck? RUN FORREST.......RUN!! Unless you want to put anti-lock brakes on the truck to get it to work right, I'd forget it. The anti-lock sensors are where a NAG1 gets readings to figure out how fast you're going....and when and how to shift gears. A 545RFE would be a much better choice for a pickup truck, and the factory computer for your 5.7 can be flashed to make it work. Good luck.

Oh the nag isn'tfor the truck it's for my 63 belvedere I have a 545rfe for the truck. Yeah I feared having to build mounts but will of I have to

As far as the NAG goes, it can be done, you basically have to install sensors on either the wheels or driveshaft in order to get it to work. It is not for the faint of heart. What you'd really want to do is get a donor car in which you are able to get EVERYTHING. You'll want as much stuff as you can get, particularly the engine, transmission and body wiring harness. I'd also get the wiring harness, console and dash out of a donor car. Then get yourself a facotry service manual and begin tracing the circuits. Not impossible, and if you take your time and pay attention to detail you should be able to do it.

You're probably on your own for motor mounts for your truck, you might try either truck manifolds or Jeep manifolds for the exhaust, I doubt TTI would work, and it would be ridiculously expensive to find out. Hooker makes B-body headers they might work. You might also try Street and Performance, they make a set of headers for putting the Hemi into street rods.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Have you looked into trying to use some style of factory truck mounts from a Ram, Durango, or Grand Cherokee?

thanks a bunch. Close to what I'm doing got the main issues I've been concerned with. engine mounting. Everything else I'm doing is going to be as close to stock as I can get it. Factory everything except tcase and axles.

thanks a bunch. Close to what I'm doing got the main issues I've been concerned with. engine mounting. Everything else I'm doing is going to be as close to stock as I can get it. Factory everything except tcase and axles.

glad i could help. you should post a build thread

-
Back