Anyone like the color

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
So I got the underside of the trunk lid done, also did the door jambs, trunk jambs and rear valance. Finished about 6am my time. When should I pull the tape on the jambs? Also how long before I can handle the peices? I plan to install the trunk lid and paint the whole car tomorrow.

Attachments

• petty blue.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 540
  • petty blue2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 539
TB3 Super Blue, Love it and a hardly used color!

touch an out of the way spot and see if it leaves a print. I would not directly handle the paint though.

once the paint is completely dry you can pull the tape back onto itself and away from the fresh paint so it wont catch and try to peel the paint off. id youtube a video of how to safely remove the tape

Yeah ive seen some videos. I think i can handle it. Just wasnt sure. But I think the wise thing is to wait untill tomorrow then I know for sure.

Very nice. Has a 60s look to it. Unique in this day and age!
I would pull the tape as soon as possible with out getting into (touching) the painted panel parts. Otherwise if you cannot seem to get tape off w/o disturbing the painted panels, then wait until it has been on for 6 -8 hours or so.
Sometimes you go to pull tape right after paint, and the paint is stringy like snot so you have to wait until it sets up more. Other times it is easy to take off while very wet.
For me since I dont paint too often I have to do a little bitty test on a piece of tape (edge) to see if the paint will let go of the tape right after painting.
Then if it lets go and you remove the tape right after painting, the paint edge will lay down very smooth.
Of course if you have a drip or run up against the tape edge, the drip or run may move on a little where the tape was removed.
I would give the paint 24 hours in a hot (ambient summer temp) shop before handling. Or wait 6 - 8 hours, then set it outside in the shade all day. Watch out for tree leafs and debris falling off trees! Leave windows or doors open in shop all day and over night if parts are inside as you want vapors to be purged from shop to accelerate curing of paint.
You dont want prints or dust in the paint and you want it to be durable in case it gets bumped against something, so the more time it has to cure before disturbing it, the better.

Looks good from here!!
I had a 1973 Petty Blue Roadrunner with white strobe stripes. Always liked that color!

If you run that color while spraying just let it dry and wetsand then buff.

I love it. I just went out and lightly touched a spot that will be hidden. Its like a hard candy shell nice and smooth. But Ill wait till tomorrow morning before messing with it. I dont beleive i got any runs in the panels I painted which is what i need to gain the confidence of sprayin.

Cool! I use TCP also. Products seem solid to me. I am using their single stage urethane in a blue metallic color for everything but outer panels! Friendly service too.

If i wait till tomorrow and do my cleaning and prepping of the body. There isnt anything saying I cant paint the whole car sunday right? I mean it wont effect the jambs and such I just did

Cool stuff bro, Like the color. I'll be there one day in the next few months, gonna do TCP global also. :)

If i wait till tomorrow and do my cleaning and prepping of the body. There isnt anything saying I cant paint the whole car sunday right? I mean it wont effect the jambs and such I just did

Your fine to mask off the jams and spray the body the day after you jam it. The tech sheet should tell you how long to wait to mask it though.

Im jealous, your getting color and I just started stripping mine back to bare metal.

-
Back