anyone make there own beer?

-

'68-340-S

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone here does the home brewery thing? I bought a kit and make one batch so far ( 2gallons )... It's not bad. I'm already trying to deside what flavor i'll go with for my next batch... I already know it'll have to be stronger than the first. I'm going to need some adjustments for more carbonation too.

I thought about making my own beer, but I have enough projects and it is to eazy to buy the stuff.

It's cool that you do make your own. Keep with it and maybe you could start your own micro brew and make some money. The guy that started Samuel Adams did just that. He started making beer in his garage in the 80's and now look at him today. He brews what is probably my favorite beer.

Chuck

I've been making beer at a U-Brew establishment for about 12 years now. At least until recently. The proprietors pissed me off, so I'm outta there:butthead:.

I much prefer the hand-crafted beer to most store bought swill.

I'm partial to ales, and stout. Not much can beat a good IPA:tongue9:. That's India Pale Ale, for anyone whom isn't in the loop. Just love hops. It's what beer was meant to taste like.

Something that may make your beer a little better is to add some honey to it. Makes it a little smoother, and a little more potent.

I'm just going to do it as a hobby. Like briankaplan, I'm more into the consumption side of it. I just think it's cool to be able to change the flavor (and alcohol content :) ). It's not very hard to make just time consuming, most of the time it just sits doing it's thing. The batch I just made took 2 1/2 weeks to make.... I drank plenty of Bud in that time. LOL

comoxian,
I already picked up some honey for my next batch. I'm thinking about trying a blackberry & blueberry beer that's offered through Mr. Beer ( that's the kit I bought). It doesn't sound bad and has a higher alcohol content than what came in the kit.

i have a Mr Beer kit. Never made a batch yet with this new one. But i have brewed before out of my now father in laws kit. We have made some nice stouts and porters. I love dark beer. I look forward to making a Hefeweizen with this new kit. ill let you all know how it turns out!

I got my kit from CVS, I think it was a holiday special. I don't think they keep them year round... but they might.

I made beer for 10 years or so, starting around 92-93, IIRC. I was dismayed to learn that although there were many great brews available fresh on tap in the pubs around where I was station near London at the time, it was quite expensive, even by the case in the stores. But they also seemed to sell malt, hops, equipment etc. in many places as well, So I decided to give it a a try.

If you read a couple books on the subject, you'll learn there's not all that much to it, some basic chemistry, etc. It's fun to make up your own recipes and come up with something different or something more to your taste. BIGGEST thing to bear in mind is cleanliness. Sterilization of the equipment, etc. is of utmost importance. Poor sanitation practices is the one thing that will ruin a batch of beer quicker than anything else.

I stopped due to lack of time and other interests after we moved to our present location about four years ago. Still plan on getting started again someday after things settle down enough. Great hobby. After I got pretty good at it, I figured I could make a five gallon batch of better beer than I could buy in any store for about half the price.

harbor freight has mr. beer kits, on sale about $30.I went to my local brew shop to make cheap beer, walked out with $150 worth on stuff. That would buy alot of beer!

I'm looking forward to my next batch but they've been out of the dry lager yest and it's too cold here to use the regular yeast. We have a brewing company that's local, but I don't know if they sell any supples.

-
Back