Anyone making brand new abody bumpers?

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Over the winter id like to do something about the bumper situation on my scamp as they arent looking the greatest...I am toying with the idea of glass bumpers, but i havent fully decided on that yet...Chroming prices around my parts are absolutly ridiculous and chroming places are far and few between, so even shopping for a good price doesnt leave many options. I was wondering if there is anybody out there who sells new abody bumpers (specificaly 71 scamp) or maybe offers a service where you give them a core and a bit of cash and you get new bumpers...if anybody can help me out with this id appreciate it

thanks!
Matthew

If they aren't on the site call them. They don't always put everything on the site for some reason

how is the quality of their stuff usually? like fit and finish wise? because if i can get both bumpers for 600 bucks, than thats even cheaper that what i would have to pay for rechroming which is great! are there any other companies out there reproducing them or any really good chrome companies i can take a look at?

So you'd have a 70-71 Duster front bumper and a 70 rear Dart bumper? The front should be there, not sure about the rear. The metal is ever so slightly thinner, but it does not affect the appearance or the quality (so far). I bought a rear Duster bumper. It ended up being the same price as a re-chromed original by the time it landed in Canada, and AMD does not ship direct to Canada, so you have to buy from one of their distributors.
Daryl

So you'd have a 70-71 Duster front bumper and a 70 rear Dart bumper? The front should be there, not sure about the rear. The metal is ever so slightly thinner, but it does not affect the appearance or the quality (so far). I bought a rear Duster bumper. It ended up being the same price as a re-chromed original by the time it landed in Canada, and AMD does not ship direct to Canada, so you have to buy from one of their distributors.
Daryl

yes thats what it would be. Id have to call them i guess and see if they do the 70 dart rear bumper...which distributor did you get yours from? and about the actual bumper, did it go on okay without any fitment problems, or does it leave some to be desired?

not to resurrect an old thread, but 440WIP you never replied and id like to hear about your experience as im starting to consider this option now...thanks!

How about Tri-city Plating out of Tennessee?? I have gotten a number of bumpers from them in the past, and they are very good quality. Look at the bumper on the cuda in my avatar, a Tri-city item!! They take cores, and if you have a bunch of cores from different cars, they will usually take them all and allow you to offset the price of the bumpers you need. They typically give $30-$35.00 for cores, and their bumpers run about $325.00, depending on the model of car. They like all Mopar cores as there is no company out there who is reproducing any Mopar bumpers, except maybe the Challenger/Cuda bumpers. They don't mind if they are a little bent, but no rust through though!!! I have taken them over 20 bumpers at a time and gotten 2 bumpers for each of my Barracudas for free. I would look them up and see if they are going to any of the winter shows in your area, call them and set up the transaction ahead of time, and they will have your bumpers earmarked and they will be ready to handle any cores you set up to bring. Thats what I do and it works well and saves $$$ on shipping. Good luck with your project, Geof

AAR Fiberglass in Florida has glass bumpers and I believe I heard they will paint them chrome.

thanks for the info guys! i will look into both options!

If you chose to chrome.
www.tricityplating.com
www.advancedplating.com/
Both in Tn I think.

on these next 2, I'm not sure if there was a name change or one bought out the other but they share a common phn#

North Star Plating Company
Industrial Park
P.O. Box 204
Brainerd
MN 56401
(800) 432-3720

Key Stone Automotive
2110 S 10th Street,
Brainerd, MN 56401
http://keystone-auto.com
218-829-4063
218-829-9664 Fax
(800) 432-3720 Toll Free

I read that John Balows' Muscle Car Creations uses them.

Damn I wish I had my car when I was in St Cloud, MN. i could have better bumpers now.

After hearing about them from John Balow at Muscle Car Restorations in Wisconsin (he's done several factory Super Stocks and light weights, as well as several OE Gold Certified cars for the Mopar Nationals competition) I did a story with Keystone in Brainerd, MN. They do OE chrome for trucks now, but they also have a huge restoration program that's top notch.
Amazingly, their prices are also extremely reasonable.
A couple years ago, my buddy had the bumpers for his '57 Ford Ranch Wagon redone, and they were under $300 each. I can't quote prices for them, but I can tell you my personal experience with them: I sent the rear bumper for my '62 Chevy Suburban to them last year. Both ends were bent in and contacting the quarter panels. There were a couple other dents, and the whole thing was twisted radially about 25 degrees (set it on the ground, and one end was angled down, the other angled up). Finally, there were about six 3/4-inch drilled holes in it, and a 3-inch hole cut in the center of it with a torch.

It came back concours perfect, and was $250. Now, prices may have gone up since then, but that's what it cost. Glass smooth, no grind marks, OE-quality chrome (meaning it won't flake off).

Additionally, while talking to the guy on the phone, I mentioned what it was for, and he right away said that those bumpers are unique to Suburbans (not the same as truck bumpers), and that the '60-'62 bumpers are different than the '63-'66 bumpers. He was right, as I had learned both lessons the hard way already. Who the hell knows that off the top of their head? They know their bumpers.

(218 ) 829-4063.

I'll be sending them the bumpers for my Duster, obviously.

-Brad

wow they sound like a good company to deal with

j.c.whitney has a person on their site that does chrome in calif. i'm in tn and it was going to cost me 360.00 for rechrome bumper, no exchange, to my door. 250 if i picked up and had a core. thats not bad considering shipping.

j.c.whitney has a person on their site that does chrome in calif. i'm in tn and it was going to cost me 360.00 for rechrome bumper, no exchange, to my door. 250 if i picked up and had a core. thats not bad considering shipping.

Not bad, unless it's Bumper Boys,which is California-based.

-Brad

-
Back