Anyone modified Trans xmember to lower the Transmission ?

-

ken5124

65 Valiant Signet
Reaction score
My 904 transmission is sitting against the rubber piece at the top of the trans tunnel.. 65 valiant signet .

I was thinking it would be relatively easy to cut out the mount base, fab some steel and have a welder lower the base of the crossmember , where the transmission mount rests.

Schumacher will send me a 3/16 to 1/4 inch shorter mount for 79 plus shipping, but it may not be enough and I can get the welding done for free..

Has anyone done this?? Opinions?

Thanks

Absolutely no reason for that to happen. The 904 was factory installed in those cars and hit nothing. I would be looking at having the wrong crossmember or mount. There's a wrong part there somewhere. I wouldn't cut on it to fix it. Take some pics and post them. Maybe we can help spot what's wrong.

I thought perhaps I had the wrong height mount and purchased a correct factory style replacement. It was taller than the schuamacher mount I have .

Schumacher says that some 904 cases ( truck or rv) are slightly taller in this area. Unfortunately I do not know what my 904 came out of.. It's not the original one for the car.

Crossmember was the one that came with the car( slant six 904)

Will post some pics tonight..

Why not just take the rubber off the floor?

I wound up taking the rubber piece out.. That gave me about 1/4 inch of free play before contact with the tunnel.

Then I massaged ( with a die grinder) the crossmember bolt holes a bit, to lower the whole assembly another 1/8 inch or so.

WHow.. what a difference.. my car actually is smooth.. 3000 rpm and Can hardly feel it's running.. It's like I am driving a new car.. or at least one less than 10 years old.

Should of paid more attention when I put it together 10 thousand kilmetres ago...

Ken

-
Back