anyone play bass guitar?

-

hw612

The Mopar Martian.
Reaction score
wondering if there is a "high end" jack i can put in my j bass, i wrecked the one in there. thanks.

Carvin makes some quality stuff! Why not a new one from fender though?

Guitarist,but I have been Diverted to bass in a few bands when there is need:D Also tought my friend how to play bass when we were teenagers.

Five Fat Strings are my game! I play with my church praise team. I can say I have used Carvin parts. Classy stuff! Their pick-ups are nice....

i always like the switch craft jacks been using them for years and not all that pricey

Carvin makes some quality stuff! Why not a new one from fender though?

Because he asked for a "High End" jack. Much of Fenders hardware (the stuff used in the "Squire", "Standard", and "American Standard" lines is not "high end. Fender's good stuff is used in their Custom Shop pieces and in the American Deluxe pieces.

It's just easier to get quality stuff from Carvin as they use the same grade in all their pieces. That's all.

That said, really any jack will do if you're using it for club dates. If you're doing digital recording, the higher end stuff makes less noise, and depending on the quality of your cables, produces a truer representation.

the fender one i had was just super noisey and ALWAYS came loose. annoying during gigs, cant be very active and mobile like everyone else.

Because he asked for a "High End" jack. Much of Fenders hardware (the stuff used in the "Squire", "Standard", and "American Standard" lines is not "high end. Fender's good stuff is used in their Custom Shop pieces and in the American Deluxe pieces.

It's just easier to get quality stuff from Carvin as they use the same grade in all their pieces. That's all.

That said, really any jack will do if you're using it for club dates. If you're doing digital recording, the higher end stuff makes less noise, and depending on the quality of your cables, produces a truer representation.

Makes sense,the only experience I have with a jazz bass was my grandpa's '72 which is amazing.I have not dealt with the new stuff,but I always though the American hardware was good stuff. Good to know.

Five Fat Strings are my game! I play with my church praise team. I can say I have used Carvin parts. Classy stuff! Their pick-ups are nice....

I've got a couple of 5's. I have a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass 5, and a Carvin fretless 5 string. My "go to" bass is a 1972 Rickenbacker that I purchased new. It's a 4 string fretted bass, but after nearly 40 years of playing it, it's so comfortable it's just second nature to me.

hw612 said:
its a squire... its crap, its like 3 years old.

That's OK. I've heard some pretty sweet Squire basses. Is it an Indonesia built bass?

If you take it to someone who can "set it up" for you, the Pick ups can be adjusted so that you have a nice even volume in all octaves, and you can get the neck and bridge adjusted to get some pretty good action and true intonation up to the 16th fret or so. Even though it's an economy bass, it's really not crap. I'm noticing that plenty of the pros are using Squires, and Epiphones, too.

Get the jack replaced, (if you do it yourself, be sure you get good solder joints) and get a good "tune up" on it, by a pro. I think you'll find that it will make an excellent utility (something you can play anywhere) bass.

I don't play bass myself, but I have the distinct honor of having supper with this fella about once a week. He's somewhat of a legend on the bass around here. Neal Fountain. I can ask him if you like.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ppM0YM3Go"]Neal Fountain solo - YouTube[/ame]

Don't need to be a bassist, Rob, a jack is a jack, in this case the parts for guitar and bass are identical. Also, like anything and everything else, there are quality pieces and there are standard pieces.

... btw, I don't know Fountain, but I've seen him play a number of times. He's excellent.

Yup. He sure is. A hell of a nice guy, too. I met him through another friend who has a transmission repair shop in Milledgeville.

Carvin has great stuff (I use their necks for my builds). Guitar fetish has decent parts at good prices too.

take the jack out of the pick guard the break often, i had mine moved to the side of the body sorta like a les paul. there the jack has some rigidity unlike on the plastic pick guard. alot of the high end j and p basses will come like this

OP said:

"I was wondering if there is a "high end" jack I can put in my j bass; I wrecked the one that's in there.

Thanks."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I wondered...
How do you do that? I have been playing electric guitars and basses since 1953 and have never had to replace a female jack receptacle.

Did you step on the cord while you were moving the bass, or what???

:eek:ops:

So, I am an equipment ignoramous and can't make a recommendation beyond the OEM parts.

Sounds like there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here with abundant good advice. but I'm obviously not one of them...

I just wondered how you go about "wrecking" something as seemingly invulnerable as a female jack plug (receptacle)...

...So, I am an equipment ignoramous and can't make a recommendation beyond the OEM parts.
Not at all. OEM is always a good choice. But, has you said, the OP stated "High End" replacement. The pieces that come in a Squire Bass are not "High End" That's why I recommended a Carvin piece. It's simply a matter of preference.

Sounds like there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here with abundant good advice. but I'm obviously not one of them...
Oh... I don't know. You're experience dates back even further than mine. I started in 1957. I think you've got some pretty good tech tricks up your very long sleeves. lol

I just wondered how you go about "wrecking" something as seemingly invulnerable as a female jack plug (receptacle)...

Well that's an experience that I can honestly say I've never had, (lol) either, but he's asking for a fix. Of course the easiest and most cost efficient way, and probably also the quickest way is to simple go down to your local music store and by a new jack, and install it your self, if you have the skill and tools.

Not at all. OEM is always a good choice. But, has you said, the OP stated "High End" replacement. The pieces that come in a Squire Bass are not "High End" That's why I recommended a Carvin piece. It's simply a matter of preference.

Oh... I don't know. You're experience dates back even further than mine. I started in 1957. I think you've got some pretty good tech tricks up your very long sleeves. lol

Well that's an experience that I can honestly say I've never had, (lol) either, but he's asking for a fix. Of course the easiest and most cost efficient way, and probably also the quickest way is to simple go down to your local music store and by a new jack, and install it your self, if you have the skill and tools.

Well, thanks for the kind words, but as I said (and it's true,) I really AM an ignoramous when it comes to equipment. I suppose that comes from playing the same Fender Musicmaster short-scale guitar since 1966 (it was a replacement for a 1961 Musicmaster I had bought in 1961, and had worn the frets down, on, to the point they "buzzed" on the next higher fret, and it never occurred to me that it could be re-fretted...)

Since about 1955, I have played nothing but "contemporary" (what a mis-nomer) jazz, so all the audio pyrotechnics that are part and parcel of rock are foreign to me; a "cheater" octave generator and a stereo chorus is about as far as I go... LOL! Always wanted to try a phase shifter, but never did...

The only "tech" trick I know is this one: I have a tube amp (Fender re-issue-style, called a "Blues Deluxe", circa 1996) and to get the desired "Johnny Smith" sound quality I prefer for single-string solo improviastion, I turn the tone control on my guitar all the way one way (maximum bass) and do pretty much the same thing on the amp; no, or very little treble. This gives me a tone qulity that sounds an awful lot like the Johnny Smith recordings I enjoyed in my early years when I was trying to learn to play jazz. Here's an example of that "sound."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz7aRbagxec&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PLD53C3818305B9F42"]Johnny Smith Quartet - Stranger in Paradise - YouTube[/ame]

Most people whose opinions I value, say that they really like the "sound" I get out of this combination, if not my playing... LOL! I like it, too...

That's about the extent of my technical expertise; equipment gimmickry has never been something I was able to learn much about; I was too busy trying to learn the changes to the last couple of bars of the bridge to "Sophisticated Lady." LOL!! It's "twisty."

Sorry to disappoint you on the subject of tech "tricks," but my efforts have always been more along the lines of learning as many songs ("standards") as I could, to improve my playing.

I did became a big fan of the music of Steely Dan, way back in the seventies, so have all their stuff, but it's not really reperesentative of the kinds of things you're probably referring to... even their new stuff.

Anyway, I appreciate the input.

I have a guitar jones, does that count?

301175797.jpg

Playing bass is a lot of fun, but it doesn't satisfy MY guitar jones...

I miss those other two strings.... :?
Well, I'm halfway there... :)

IMG_2251.jpg

MusicMan Stingray 5. Absolutely love it.

Carvin makes great stuff. Hard to go wrong buying their parts.

Well, I'm halfway there... :)
MusicMan Stingray 5. Absolutely love it.

Carvin makes great stuff. Hard to go wrong buying their parts.

That's a really nice-looking bass! Having an extra treble string to work with would be great for solos.

But, I like your '67 Valiant even more... :)

I have a '72 Valiant that I have re-powered with a Vortech supercharged 360 Magnum, and it's a lot of fun to drive (mid-11 second car.)

I'm anxious to read your thread about the '67. Valiants are lots of fun!!!

Here is a bass player who uses a 6-string bass to good effect. His name is Todd Johnson and he plays a SIX-string bass with a guitarist named Ron Eschete' who plays a 7-string guitar. This allows Ron to play a walking bass line on guitar while Todd plays single-string solos on the bass.

Todd also has his top two string pickups running through a MIDI setup that can make them sound like a Hammond B-3, or a variety of other instruments, which isn't particularly notable in itself, but he's able to provide harmonic background for Ron by playing intervals (major and minor thirds, mainly) while Ron is soloing, all the while never missing a beat in providing a quarter-note walking bass line... SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Here's a video of that operation; makes a three piece group sound like four...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_39kyy_ut8"]Ron Escheté Trio - 'Cherry' (LIVE at Carter's Coyote Pass Studios) - YouTube[/ame]

I don't know of any other bass player doing this...

Do you?

Now, I'm gonna go read your '67 Valiant rebirth thread.:D

Here's a couple of pics of the Valiant... Yeah, the Moustang got there last... hee hee...

Attachments

• 100_3205.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 104
  • valleave1.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 102
That's a really nice-looking bass! Having an extra treble string to work with would be great for solos.
Well, I play rock covers and mess around with my own stuff. The fifth string is a low B string. :)

Todd Johnson is amazing. Not really my style of music, but I can certainly appreciate the skill and talent that goes in to that. The MIDI arrangement on the higher strings works well for what he's doing.

Nice Valiant. Mine's far away from being on the road again...

-
Back