Anyone played around with the new EVO lately?

-

Bakarooda

Hell On Wheels
Reaction score
Just wondering, because that little Japo-shitbox could really move. I got my butt handed to me twice by one today. I just wanted to play around with it a bit, and it's driver was more than willing to show me what it could do. Better yet, the guy actually knew how to drive (a first for import owners in my area). It obviously didn't work out too well in my favor, but it was cool none the less...

The big thing that I noticed with the new EVO is its completely refined AWD system. It was raining when the two of us first went at it, and the streets were quite wet... He must've dumped the clutch from over 3k RPM for his launch, but the thing barely spun for a second. It just took off like a rocket. Meanwhile, I'm slipping through fourth gear, half a block behind him...

Anyways, it was very cool to get to play around with a car so new to the market, so I just thought I'd share.

Snapped a pic with my cell phone:

Untitled-1copy.jpg

i have a friend with an 04 evo and that son of a ***** is fast ive driven it twice the first time i was going easy honest i was and i was doing 70 before i new it the next time he told me to "drive it like a man" well that was a bad idea i drove it like it was a rental car and that thing is crazy fast for a little 4 banger i was amazed i think he would give me a hell of a race in my dart so now i gotta get the 440 in it and kick his a$$

I agree. Despite the whole AWD advantage in the rain, I know he would've still kicked my arse by a vast margin. Granted, I was in my truck (which only runs mid 15s on a perfect day), but had I been in my Demon, I'm sure he still would've given me a damn good run for my money.

By the looks of things, the way that thing hooked and booked I'd guess he'd pretty easily run low 14s, possibly 13s... on a wet road.

I don't care where the thing's built, that's still quick for a bone stock car. It still had temporary plates on it :D

this one is stock as well but he says he knows of one in portland oregon that has some pretty vast mods done to it that broke the 1000 hp awd dyno i have heard that from several people and dont know if i believe it or not but the guy is suppoused to have almost 35 grand on top of the price of the car in it i know for sure for 60 grand i could whip his *** but i dont have that kind of money but i have to admit ive thought about buying the evo i need a four door for my girls and that thing is a sleeper no one expects the insanely fast car coming up on them is a four door i dont know what they do to those things but they are crazy fast

its really not fair that a fourbanger could be so fast,over a v8,get 25or more mpg,reliable,and comfortable.Could i make my dart twice as fast(it is a v8 of course),reliable,get decent gas milage,comfortable,etc,for the 30,or 60 grand you were talking about?I mean an old car,that drives as good,as these evos.I had a plan once,to to put a nissan skyline awd drive train in a mopar,with a mopar engine powering it.I thought the whole deal would make an awsome machine,twin turbos,for maximun power,awd for maximun hook,and six speed for max fun!my friend was in the process of buying a wrecked skyline cheap for the swap,but things happen(new babies take lots of cash)so,,nexxxxt.OK,why cant the 225,six be as powerful as a skyline straight six,or toyota six.would balencing the recipricating assembly,prting the head,turbos,etc,make them as powerful?Just thoughts from an idle mind

Technology is just catching up to us "old school" guys. There's still nothing as cool as an old Mopar, though.

But does it look as good as a Demon 340 ??????? And what will it be worth 30 years from now... three times its initial sticker price??????? NOT!!!!! 15 years from now it will probably be in a junkyard worth...... Scrap ...

MITSUBISHI LANCER
EVOLUTION GSR
VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, 4-wheel-drive,
5-passenger, 4-door sedan
ESTIMATED BASE PRICE: $30,000
ENGINE TYPE: turbocharged and intercooled DOHC
16-valve inline-4, aluminum block and head, port fuel
injection
Displacement . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .122 cu in, 1998cc
Power (SAE net) . . . . . . . . . . . . .295 bhp @ 6500 rpm
Torque (SAE net) . . . . . . . . . . . . 300 lb-ft @ 4400 rpm
TRANSMISSION: 5-speed manual
DIMENSIONS:
Wheelbase: 104.3 in Length: 177.0 in Width: 71.3 in
Height: 58.3 in Curb weight: 3500 lb (est)

ACCELERATION
Temperature: 81 ̊F
Humidity: 62%
Barometric pressure: 29.05 in Hg
1⁄4-mile: 13.8 sec @ 102
Top Speed: 155

Test-vehicle mileage: 2673
5–60 street start: 6.6 sec Top gear, 30–50: 8.5 sec Top gear, 50–70: 5.0 sec

Easy mods will get you into the 12s
Not as easy mods will get you into the 11s

Yeah, I'm sure with a good amount of money those things would seriously honk. But even for a stock car, I was impressed.

ya... know whats like a third of that price and jsut as fast?..... the srt4 and its fwd and still runs same 1/4 times and you can get one used for around 8-10gs with lots of upgrades ..... AND ITS A MOPAR

for the cost of a evo, you could build one HELL of an abody, 408 stroker, procharger, kiesler 5 speed, and still have money left over to upgrade suspension ect.... looks cooler, runs faster

i kinda think the new evo looks ugly anyway. people

I have driven:

Mitsubishi: Evos, 3000gt
Nissan: skyline, 300z... and some other turbocharged ones
Toyota supra
Subaru
BMW: M3 and M5
Audi: RS2 (modified 700+bhp), TT
Lancia integrale
Peugeot, Citroen, Renault, Mercedes, Alfa Romeo even LADAs...

...my heart belongs to the Duster!

ya... know whats like a third of that price and jsut as fast?..... the srt4 and its fwd and still runs same 1/4 times and you can get one used for around 8-10gs with lots of upgrades ..... AND ITS A MOPAR

A friend of my have a SRT4 with stage 1 kit and he have never lost a race against a evo or impreza. His best et 13.6! A stock evo do not go 13.8 at the quarter mile

Being in the foreign car business all my life I can tell you first hand that new technology runs better than old technology. PERIOD. Back when I worked for Porsche in the 80's I was totally amazed at the performance of the legendary 930 or a 944S Turbo, which was a turbo 4 cyl. and produced over 300 HP. I'm also on the waiting list to go to school for the new Nissan GT-R, which is a continuation of the Skyline series here state side. Wicked fast cars.... Today we have Subaru STI WRX's and the Lancia Evo's that are BRUTALLY fast cars, and much better balanced. And know what? The guys driving these cars today will be stoked over a "barn find" Evo in 20 yrs. that will bring THEM back to THEIR youth.

Go ask an old car guy (65yr. old or better...) and he'll tell you stories on how the flathead Ford ruled until that "New" small block from Chevy came along and changed everything.....

BTW: I'll take disc's with ABS over 4 wheel 9" drums any day of the week....

Being in the foreign car business all my life I can tell you first hand that new technology runs better than old technology. PERIOD. Back when I worked for Porsche in the 80's I was totally amazed at the performance of the legendary 930 or a 944S Turbo, which was a turbo 4 cyl. and produced over 300 HP. I'm also on the waiting list to go to school for the new Nissan GT-R, which is a continuation of the Skyline series here state side. Wicked fast cars.... Today we have Subaru STI WRX's and the Lancia Evo's that are BRUTALLY fast cars, and much better balanced. And know what? The guys driving these cars today will be stoked over a "barn find" Evo in 20 yrs. that will bring THEM back to THEIR youth.

Go ask an old car guy (65yr. old or better...) and he'll tell you stories on how the flathead Ford ruled until that "New" small block from Chevy came along and changed everything.....

BTW: I'll take disc's with ABS over 4 wheel 9" drums any day of the week....

Define BRUTALLY fast :)

Guys guys just compare prices... Muscle cars are fast cars on a budget...if I am to pay 50.000 euros to do the mods I have in mind for my Duster, trust me it will be as fast and agile as a Ferrari and much cheaper!! And all new models European and Japanese are now utilizing the muscle car approach: lots of cubic inches! It is cheaper and lasts in time.
I have even seen a WV Golf that pumps out 1000+Bhp out of a 5 cylinder audi 2.3L engine... the whole engine needs rebuilding every few weeks and it costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that much!

Haha, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I'm not talking about buying the damned thing, just racing it! :D I own four Mopars, wear Mopar hats and shirts, and talk on all-Mopar sites for a reason! My heart belongs to Ma Mopar, and no other!

But yes, they're quick. No denying that. There's one in the Phoenix area, I believe it's a silver EVO VIII (the new one is an EVO X), and it runs 12.60s on street tires all day long. All that's been done to it are simple bolt-ons, along with something like a 75 shot of spray and some weight taken out.

DusterBoy, I too would take an SRT-4 over an EVO any day of the week. But again, I'm not talking about buying some little econo-rocket, just discussing the car itself. Besides, they all kinda look like matchbox toys to me.

Haha, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I'm not talking about buying the damned thing, just racing it! :D I own four Mopars, wear Mopar hats and shirts, and talk on all-Mopar sites for a reason! My heart belongs to Ma Mopar, and no other!

But yes, they're quick. No denying that. There's one in the Phoenix area, I believe it's a silver EVO VIII (the new one is an EVO X), and it runs 12.60s on street tires all day long. All that's been done to it are simple bolt-ons, along with something like a 75 shot of spray and some weight taken out.

DusterBoy, I too would take an SRT-4 over an EVO any day of the week. But again, I'm not talking about buying some little econo-rocket, just discussing the car itself. Besides, they all kinda look like matchbox toys to me.

I drive an SRT 4 everyday. Love it.

Which reminds me, I have yet to see an SRT-4 Caliber on the streets near me. They're so unpopular. I'd be tempted to buy one just for that reason.

I drove my buddy's EVO when he too drunk to drive. It was a ******* blast!

He has cold air, blow off valve, and exhaust on it (the only mod's outside it being stock), but the top end performance wasn't as amazing as the accleration from 0-60. I swear it was 5.5 seconds or less and the car feels light as a feather.

But I don't have to pay $29,500 for that kind of performance. My car will do that for 1/3 the cost.

-
Back