Anyone run a Pertronix Ignitor III ignition module

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has run the points replacement Ignitor III module. I like the simplicity of the swap. Just wondering if it offers similar durability and spark energy compared to a Mopar conversion ignition kit.

Thanks

Have one in my ford van, found it in a truck at the junkyard been driving on it for 4+ years now without a problem.

I have heard they are pretty reliable and better than points. There is a new version out that has a rev limiter and multi-spark. Anyone tried it yet? Just curious if I should try it versus trying to hide a stock ignition box to keep the enginer compartment clean and original looking.

Haven't tried the new one, but I had one of the original versions and have no complaints about how it did. Only replaced it because I needed a locked out distributor.

I've had an Ignitor II on my slant six for ~5 years. No problems whatsoever. :cool:

I have the original Pertronix, works like a top. Its nice to time the car and see the timing dead on balls accurate every single time.

im using a ignitor II on my performance sl6 and its sure a hell of alot better than points! im still going to upgrade to a full MSD system tho

I am running the original in the 66 Barracuda with the dual point distributer, the 66 wagon with a slant 6, and my wifes 57 T Bird. They work very well and no problems.

Have one in my ford van, found it in a truck at the junkyard been driving on it for 4+ years now without a problem.

I was not aware the Ignitor III had been out for four years.

I have the Ignitor I in two of my cars for over 10 years never had a problem. Went to the Ignitor II and could not get the car to run right. You know the saying "When all else fails read the directions !!" I needed to change the coil to their .6 ohms Coil for the II. Never had any more problems. I feel they are worth every penny and so easy to install. As for the Ignitor III Make sure to read the directions !!!!!!!!

On my '73, 360 that is in my '66 cuda: for 8 years had a Ignitor-I in stock distributor and a MSD multi & MSD blaster2 it ran real good but distributor was getting worn out.
Last year i installed:
PerTronix D7141701 - PerTronix Flame-Thrower Plug and Play Billet Distributors with Ignitor III® Module. cleaned-up the compartment plus noticed the motor running better and way better tunability. was still running MDS blaster2 coil at first, but it is a relatively slow coil (only can charge to 15,000volts at 3400rpm). Gotta get the FlameThrower-III coil to go with the Ignitor-III (charges to double the volts, 30,000 at 3400rpm)(faster charge time to handle the multi-spark). As an extra cool feature i'am also running with Pulstar Pulse Plugs (BE1i). I got no complaints, and the neighbors love it when i smoke rubber outta the parkinglot.

BTW: gotta an old mopar distributor w/ignitor-I, and some MSD equipment for sale, i'll through in a Auto-Meter fuel gauge for free

The pertronix I have in my van is the original unit not the new pertronix III

I've got the Ignitor II, simple setup, no problems, the Ignitor III has a rev limiter. That and a new coil does wonders for easy starts.

Any other Pertronix users?

I have the pertronix ignitor III and the flame throw coil.... issue I have with mine is I can't feel when it hits the rev limiter...

is it suppose to feel like a pop pop pop like a msd unit or just stop revving the engine when reached the limit set at.
Thanks !
john

Had one petronix II in the car for 4 years , never a problem , switched to mopar just in case things go wrong , and the shop I go to suggested it . So far 2 years no problem , oh one problem , ballast resistor went bad last year . 2 minute fix .
So Petronix good reliable , but parts if you break down could be hard to find , mopar good reliable , parts available every where

Had one petronix II in the car for 4 years , never a problem , switched to mopar just in case things go wrong , and the shop I go to suggested it . So far 2 years no problem , oh one problem , ballast resistor went bad last year . 2 minute fix .
So Petronix good reliable , but parts if you break down could be hard to find , mopar good reliable , parts available every where

So this is what I don't get about all the "what if I break down" with the Pertronix. It bolts in place of the stock points and condensor. Uses the same ballast, same coil, etc. There's no reason you can't switch back to the stock stuff in a pinch. And if you're really worried about the Pertronix unit crapping out and leaving you on the side of the road, there's no reason you can't carry a stock set of points and a condensor to swap back in. No mods to the distributor are made, the stock stuff will bolt right back in.

And, if you've got a stock system, you probably ALREADY have a set of points and condensor with you, because we all know those fail plenty too. So, what's the big deal? If the pertronix dies, swap the stock points back in (which you can get at any parts store), drive home, and order another pertronix. Or don't! Either way, the car works. And you can swap points and condensors on the side of the road if you've got them, I know I've done it more than once...

I have the pertronix ignitor III and the flame throw coil.... issue I have with mine is I can't feel when it hits the rev limiter...

is it suppose to feel like a pop pop pop like a msd unit or just stop revving the engine when reached the limit set at.
Thanks !
john

John,
Ignitor iii revlimiter does limit at the set point, but its real mild, its more just holding RPM the same, it not like the old MSD, MSD just causes a misfire, where the Ingnitor iii is controling firing speed (not sure how it works but its electronics). I'm digging however, ive had a Ignitor iii plug-n-play distributor and flamethrower iii coil for a couple years now and my little Barracuda runs very good ever since (on thing to note is tunablity was crap with the vacuum advance hooked up, i plugged it now the car is a rocket off the line).

About the parts availablity issue: i can't imagine what could happen to the Pertronix system that would need roadside repair, its very robust, and its set it and forget it. if something goes wrong then its going to be chalked to human error, so take care of it and there shouldnt be any issues. if your that worried about it then get AAA, or dont buy it, all i know my 66 Cuda is faster since i got my PerTronix D7141701 - PerTronix Flame-Thrower Plug and Play Billet Distributor with Ignitor III® Module and Flame-Thrower III Coil.

Thanks brkooduh66 !!! That's what I thought !

It took me a awhile to figure it out but I GOT IT ! after I got my doors blown off from the same 340 and 360 dart and duster cars I raced previously and stayed with hm..
I had the limiter set way down to 5000K rpm to see if I could feel anything going on with the limiter.. it was after I ran the 340 and 360 guys again and realized the limiter was holding me back .. so now I know ! it does not pop pop like a msd unit. just holds the rev limit where you set it.
wish the pertronix tech guys new more about there products.
OK ... now after those 340, 360 buddies of mine again ! watch out ! the 273hp is coming ! LOL :burnout::burnout::burnout::happy2:
Little video clip revving ! enjoy .

[ame]http://s446.photobucket.com/albums/qq185/stroker402/?action=view&current=3d2cdd52.mp4[/ame]

I have had one in my big block A body for goin on 16 years now and never a failure. I would go ahead and get 1 and not worry abou it breaking down.

-
Back