anyone running a rear sway bar on early a ?

-

340duster340

Reaction score
looking for install pics of frame mounted sway bar on early A body. all i can find on the web is dusters and later model darts.

any help is appreciated, thanks in advance,

Dang, I don't remember seeing one installed. I'm paying attention though. The early A's would handle better with one for sure. tmm

I am running the Hotchkis rear bar, I will send you some pictures tomorrow when I have it on the hoist.

Addco makes front and rear bars for early A bodies. I have a set but haven't installed them yet. The Addco hardware kits seem to be pretty "universal" and as such leave a little bit to be desired, especially the front. Nothing a welder cant fix, but the Firm Feel setup looks quite a bit more robust.

I have an ADDCO rear bar. I installed it about 25 years ago. It installed without drilling holes. The kit had U bolts that inserted in frame rail existing holes for the link mounts. The bar bushings mounted to the axles with U bolts and pads. I will get some pictures in a day or two.

Here is the ADDCO bar, I added poly end link bushings a few years ago. The end link spacers were cut to fit by using standard spacers. The bar ends are parallel to the ground, but the picture angle does not show that.

The upper end link mount is done with the square U-bolt in frame rail OEM holes. The U-bolts are a bit long but left them that way. If they were shorter they might be a PITA to toggle into the rail.

Attachments

• 20140331_095522.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 229
  • 20140331_095614(0).jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 226
thanks for the pics guys.

i had previously bought a firm-feel bar, and wasn't sure if it would work with the exhaust that i previously had taken off another car ....PS i figured that was a lame excuse not to use it, and started to mock it up over this past weekend.

currently, i have it held up on the exhaust hangers with zip ties, but when i put it in for the final adjustment i will make it so the end links are as close to vertical as possible at ride height.

it was a very easy install....but definitely had to do the mock up and adjust the mount locations to get the proper alignment. all in all took maybe 45 minutes from out of the box to what you see, and if it didn't start raining i would have taken the extra 30 mins or so to finish it, but need an excuse to get back in the garage next weekend.

the folks at Firmfeel are great, i had a few install questions on the end link angles and they got me pointed in the right direction quick. this was a no-brainer for me because i was already installing new leaf springs, unbolts etc, so everything was all apart and easy to install.

20140329_172005_zps3e939ccf.jpg

-
Back