Anyone running electric fans?

-

Badart

Reaction score
I just bought a 16" proform 2700 cfm electric fan with shroud and I am wondering if anyone else is running an electric fan on their stock radiator. The only reason why I am swapping it out is because I don't have a shroud and I should pick up a little free power too. I am also wondering what temp should I have it come on and off 180? 200? 318 street motor.

I just bought a 16" proform 2700 cfm electric fan with shroud and I am wondering if anyone else is running an electric fan on their stock radiator. The only reason why I am swapping it out is because I don't have a shroud and I should pick up a little free power too. I am also wondering what temp should I have it come on and off 180? 200? 318 street motor.

I have a 2700 cfm fan and adjustable thermo fan relay in my '59

P1010057.jpg

Have it come on when there is hot water in the radiator... what temp thermostat are you running?

A few words of advice if I may offer:
Be careful where you put the probe for the fan relay, if using a screw-in temp sensor in the block get it as close to the water neck as possible.

Use the proper gauge wiring for your application and when extending wire go one size larger

Set the fan to come on below your target temp and adjust it upwards in temp rather than start high in temp and adjust downwards - this way you avoid an overheat situation

And, fans work best as pullers mounted inside the engine compartment, make sure your fan is pulling air from outside the car in rather than trying to blow out against the direction of travel

Good luck

Nice set up. I believe that I installed 180 degree thermostat. Thanks for the advice. I think that I will also buy an adjustable relay for the fan.

Nice set up. I believe that I installed 180 degree thermostat. Thanks for the advice. I think that I will also buy an adjustable relay for the fan.

If you bought the Porform kit it should have come with the adj relay, otherwise pepboys (shuckers) has them for $35 in the rad fin probe style, you can order a screw in type from summit or jegs. Mine is a Hayden, but any of them will work. Mine turns the fan on at around 185-190 and off around 170, works great and cools fast at 2700 cfm - a shroud helps but is not required, my fan came with the shroud

On a second note, I wired the relay trigger wire to a constant hot battery source, rather than ignition-hot, so my fan runs even with my truck off, like a modern car does, too bad I don't have an electric water pump too...

Putting almost the identical setup in my 360 magnum-powered Scamp this summer

-
Back