Anyone running hedman 78050 headers?

-

mopardrt

Reaction score
http://www.hedman.com/site/?d=119&dt=108 Is anyone running these headers? I have a 1974 Swinger with a 360 Power steering and Power brakes. The last set of long tube headers I had came from summit and they hit the steering linkage and hit the ground more then once.

I run them, and they fit fine....... AFTER I replaced my K-Frame. My car was appearently in a wreck in its past, and because of the wreck the original K-Frame was bent, and this caused MAJOR interference with my idler arm, steering arms, and t-bars. They are fairly low, and I have to be careful over speed bumps and take them at an angle, but over all they don't scrape very often.

I run them, and they fit fine....... AFTER I replaced my K-Frame. My car was appearently in a wreck in its past, and because of the wreck the original K-Frame was bent, and this caused MAJOR interference with my idler arm, steering arms, and t-bars. They are fairly low, and I have to be careful over speed bumps and take them at an angle, but over all they don't scrape very often.

Hmm is there any hitting from the steering linkage? My long tube summit headers had to be beat in, to clear the steering linkage.

Hmm is there any hitting from the steering linkage? My long tube summit headers had to be beat in, to clear the steering linkage.

Mine clear the steering shaft by about a half inch.
The linkage under the car goes through the tubes and clears the zert fittings on the linkage by about 1/8 inch.

I have Hedman 78056 and they fit darn near perfect.
The only issue was that the #1 cylinder tube just barely touched the corner of front bolt head of the power steering box mount bolts.
I don't need a 90 adapter or anything, and can remove and replace the filter from the top.

Grinding about 1/8 inch off the corner of the head of the bolt cleared everything fine.

73 Dart Swinger
318/904
Power brakes
Power steering

I must have got lucky with my Summit headers. They fit fine, had to put one small ding where the coupler is in the steering shaft and that's it. Have not bottomed out on anything, and that was with 14" tires. I have 15"s on there now and gained just a little more clearance.

74 Dart Sport.

Mine clear the steering shaft by about a half inch.
The linkage under the car goes through the tubes and clears the zert fittings on the linkage by about 1/8 inch.

I have Hedman 78056 and they fit darn near perfect.
The only issue was that the #1 cylinder tube just barely touched the corner of front bolt head of the power steering box mount bolts.
I don't need a 90 adapter or anything, and can remove and replace the filter from the top.

Grinding about 1/8 inch off the corner of the head of the bolt cleared everything fine.

73 Dart Swinger

318/904
Power brakes
Power steering
Why in the world are those 6 times as expensive as the 78050?

I must have got lucky with my Summit headers. They fit fine, had to put one small ding where the coupler is in the steering shaft and that's it. Have not bottomed out on anything, and that was with 14" tires. I have 15"s on there now and gained just a little more clearance.

74 Dart Sport.

what part number did u use?

what part number did u use?

These, I just went through my receipts to double check.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9040/overview/

Sometimes I have to wonder if things fit differently from biscuit mounts to spool mounts. I have never had an issue with them scraping and I purposely went over some speed bumps, slowly of course, in a parking lot not too far from me and they never hit, big bumps too. Last time I measured ground clearance was with the 14's on there and I had around 7" from the bottom of the collector.

These, I just went through my receipts to double check.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9040/overview/

Sometimes I have to wonder if things fit differently from biscuit mounts to spool mounts. I have never had an issue with them scraping and I purposely went over some speed bumps, slowly of course, in a parking lot not too far from me and they never hit, big bumps too. Last time I measured ground clearance was with the 14's on there and I had around 7" from the bottom of the collector.

What is this biscuit and spool mounts you speak of LOL? :-s

Why in the world are those 6 times as expensive as the 78050?

Didn't know they were.
I bought them used (But almost perfect condition) for 210

The Hedman site shows the only difference is mine are coated and yours are not.

#78056 coated = about 575
#78050 non coated = about 210

Holy crap they are proud of the aluminized coating.

I have these headers on my 68 cuda.we are in the process of putting it back together now.the po had a 440 with a different kmember in it.we got the car with a smallblock k member and a 318 already installed and running.the steering linkage was just slapped together loosely but it would turn and we only pushed the car by hand because of some other issues.the stock idler arm was shot so I got another at autozone which appeared to be the same except for the metal sleeve where the bolt goes through the k member.the sleeve in the stock one was all ofsett to one side and the new one is centered .the sleeve does not move in the idler arm and with it being centered it puts the steering linkage in contact hard with the header.ive tried to look at pix of others that may be offcenter like my original but cant seem to find one.even the pic of the moog one looks like it kinda centered.i was thinking of taking the autozone one and machining off the one side of the sleeve and then stacking extra washers on the other side.
any ideas?

the autozone one is centered like this
46C1026A_Primary.jpg

so I just did some searching and it looks like I need the moog k7042.
the power steering box was probably added after the bigblock and k member were changed.
how can I assure all of the steering components are correct?
is the pitman and centerlink different from power to non power box?

-
Back