Anyone running these manifolds?

-

jrc4y4

Reaction score
Guy a couple hours from me is selling a pair of small block exhaust manifolds. Not sure they will fit an A body though and wondering if anyone has tried. What little I could find, it doesn't look like an easy fit. Casting numbers 53006618 (driver side) and 53006619 (passenger side). They look pretty long. Anyone have actual experience with these? Thanks.

Here they are

manifolds.jpg

manifolds2.jpg

manifolds3.jpg

manifolds4.jpg

There are threads on here that say the driver side requires some grinding on POWER steereing cars. I think that is the only downside. Member Treblig is the AFICIADO on this hopefully he'll chime in.

Worked perfectly on my commando in my 63 valiant. Just move the Column to the side and you should be goods

Jake

Right hand side will fit no problem but the left side will hit the power steering box and will not work.It may work with manual steering but have not tried it.

Dakota magnum manifolds. Yes they have been installed in a-bodies. There have been posts reporting these rear dump manifolds heat up the a-bodies firewall floor area.

I have never tried to use those manifolds, so I am no expert in the application, but I could see the heat issue happening.

I forgot, stick cars are out. The drivers side dumps right on the zbar IIRC.

Ok thanks for all the info guys! I'll steer clear of them then.

I used the Dakota mani's on my 65 Barracuda. I have manual steering, console shift. Search my postings.

I have a 65 with a mannual box. I milled the drivers side down .020, and changed the coupler out for an universal joint. It's tight but it works. They flow much better then the 273 manifolds. One thing you might want to do is grind out the bottom of the port on the manifold, because it sits higher then the non Magnum head exhaust port which may restrict flow a bit

I think I did a "how to thread" on this years ago, but my memory's not so good these days:lol:

Yes, i also milled mine <both> sides .250 to assisit in clearing the passenger fender. In addition to a smaller coupler i cut my column tube back for clearance plus installed a bearing at the tube's end. And in paranoid mode, put a shim under driver side motor mount. Fan is still centered in radiator shroud and air breather stud doesn't poke hole thru hood! :0

Yes, i also milled mine <both> sides .250 to assisit in clearing the passenger fender. In addition to a smaller coupler i cut my column tube back for clearance plus installed a bearing at the tube's end. And in paranoid mode, put a shim under driver side motor mount. Fan is still centered in radiator shroud and air breather stud doesn't poke hole thru hood! :0
Now that you mention it I think I cut my column tube as well

I wanted to add that I was fiddling in the garage today and did some measuring and the manifold ports are a good bit bigger then the J head ports so there's probably no need to grind on them:D

Side note, you want to make sure you uyse the 91-92 Manifolds, the later ones look the same but have smaller ports to increase back pressure in order to reduce emissions

I have a Dakota driver's manifold (2 1/4") exit hole. I machined it out to 2 1/4". Only have one, painted and ready to ship. Looks like the bottom one in the pic:

DSC03943.JPG

Treblig

I have a 65 with a mannual box. I milled the drivers side down .020, and changed the coupler out for an universal joint. It's tight but it works. They flow much better then the 273 manifolds. One thing you might want to do is grind out the bottom of the port on the manifold, because it sits higher then the non Magnum head exhaust port which may restrict flow a bit

They need the windows opened on all, the magnum center exhaust ports are wider spaced than LA exh ports, so magnums choke the center ports bad as well as the floors if you don't address that...

Thank you MOPAROFFICIAL I took another look and I see what mean

The LA Head
LA.jpg

The Magnum Manifold
Magnum.jpg

I didn't catch that because the gasket I was matching it with was open in the middle:rolleyes:

Gasket.jpg

I have a Dakota driver's manifold (2 1/4") exit hole. I machined it out to 2 1/4". Only have one, painted and ready to ship. Looks like the bottom one in the pic:

View attachment 1715021283

Treblig

I've seen your posts about selling manifold combos that can go right in without any fitment issues. You still doing that or are those days over? I'm still scouting stuff to figure out what I want to do, asking more questions than I am shopping right now lol.

I've seen your posts about selling manifold combos that can go right in without any fitment issues. You still doing that or are those days over? I'm still scouting stuff to figure out what I want to do, asking more questions than I am shopping right now lol.

Well actually....I ran across a 340 driver that I had stashed way back on the shelf. I thought that I was completely out of stock. So yes, I will/can sell one more set of 340/360 manifolds but the 360 will be the original size outlet (2 1/8"+). I no longer machine the 360 manifolds but you could?? It would take me a couple of weeks to locate a 360 magnum. The 340 is clean and nice. I also no longer have anyone that can sand blast the manifolds (they went out of business) so the 360 won't be blasted and painted like they used to be. I'll post a pick of the 340 driver later today.

PS - I still plan to help FABO members with exhaust manifold questions.
treblig

Ok cool. Would the set fit without having to modify steering or oil filter location? That's my biggest concern. I can blast and paint manifolds myself. Is that the 340 hi po or is it something else?

-
Back